Troubleshooting my AG BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoHawk

Reaction score
I've been doing a 1-gallon BIAB, and I'm nervous I've messed something up.

I'm making an oatmeal stout, based off of this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/classic-oatmeal-stout-88634/

My grain bill:
1# 6oz Maris Otter
10oz 2-row
5oz Rolled oats
3oz Crystal 60L
2.5oz Chocolate malt
1.5oz Roasted barley

Mash:
20 min protein rest at 130
60 min at 152
mash-out at 180

No, instead of having a rich, black stput, I have something that looks like a brown ale. It's a rich dark brown. Tasty looking, but not a stout.

Pretty sure I FUBAR'd it, but I'm not sure where it went wrong. Would the fact that the chocolate malt and roasted barley are over a year old have anything to do with it? I wouldn't think so, but...

I'll post a pic of the boil in a minute.

All your amounts are slightly off but I don't see that being much of a difference.

The color will change from the boil and throughout the process. Are you just starting the boil? It will boil off ~gallon in an hour, which should darken it.

Were the year old grains crushed or not? Did you taste them before crushing?

OK, here's a pic of the boil in progress...

And I've got some water heating up to calibrate my thermometer.

2013-02-01 14.34.27.jpg

All your amounts are slightly off but I don't see that being much of a difference.

The color will change from the boil and throughout the process. Are you just starting the boil? It will boil off ~gallon in an hour, which should darken it.

Were the year old grains crushed or not? Did you taste them before crushing?

Yeah, the grain bill is tweaked to keep the numbers simple.

about 40 min into the boil. it's getting a bit darker, but not the inky black I've had from stouts before. It's still just brown.

Grains were stored un-crushed, sealed in plastic ziploc bags in a storage tub at room temp. Didn't taste them before crushing (should I be doing this? what would I be looking for?)

****... just stuck my thermometer in a pot of boiling water. It reads about 206 degrees. Which means my mash was 146...

I'll see what the gravity is before jumping to conclusions, but 146 seems a little low for a mash...

Hey! Word filters! I guess I can't swear here...

Thanks for the help. Hit the OG fine, right at 1.060

I guess I just had a TON of trub/hot break/barley flour/stuff floating around in the kettle.

Should'a just had a homebrew and relaxed...

Back