Troubles assembling Monster Mill MM3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeties012

Reaction score
I just received an MM3 and set to assembling it. Assembly was much more difficult than I expected, even when following the suggestions of mounting the side plates to the base one at a time. I have two resultant questions and curious if anyone could offer some opinions.

1. Getting the mill squared up so the rollers freely spin was very difficult when tightening the mill to the base. Each time I would tighten a mounting screw, one of the top two rollers would bind up. I spent quite a while loosening and tightening each of the 4 mounting screws, 1/4 turn at a time, until all three rollers would spin relatively freely. Then, attaching the hopper to the mill caused more binding, and I had to do a similar thing tightening/loosening 1/4 turn at a time until they spun again. Maybe I am overindexing on how "freely" the rollers should spin. Does this seem in line with other's experience?

2. I was able to snug the top two rollers up against the side plates, however the bottom roller has a decent amount of play. Using feeler guages, it seems like about a .032" gap between the roller and the side plate. I am concerned about crush and flour getting in there. Is that normal, or should this snug up better like the other two?
Thanks!

My rollers do not exactly spin freely which I assume is by design for the crush. Been using it for years with no issues. As far as the bottom roller, I would not worry about it, a .032 gap should be fine. If you are overly worried about it, contact the manufacturer rep. They have great customer service.

As a side note: my mill is powered by a 1/2 hp electric motor and sheaved to around 200 rpm to get a great crush. If you are cranking by hand, my above advice may not be correct for you.

Thanks for the insight. I thought I might be overindexing on it. I sent the questions to their support email, so we will see.

I will be driving it with a 1/2” chuck low speed high torque drill.

Thanks for the insight. I thought I might be overindexing on it. I sent the questions to their support email, so we will see.

I will be driving it with a 1/2” chuck low speed high torque drill.
Low RPM's along with proper roller gap settings (according to your brew set up) are key.

Back