trouble with mash ph, lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
wasn't sure if this belonged here or beginer's topic...but i figured i'd play it safe....

so, just mashed in and the city must have changed the water source AGAIN, so instead of having to low a ph...i had a ph of like 5.9. i knew right off the bat epsom salt wasn't going to lower it THAT much. i'm out of phosphoric acid, i've got some glacial acetic, but was worried about 'off-flavors', lol...naturally i did what any sane brewer would do, grabbed my bottle of conc. sulfuric acid drain opener and don'd the goggles for a quick few drops to the mash...got it down to 5.3 with about 5-6 drops in 10 gallons of mash.

just thought i'd share...

edit: now that i think about it....i have a jug of conc HCl pool acid too, should have went with that....

Last edited:
grabbed my bottle of conc. sulfuric acid drain opener and don'd the goggles for a quick few drops to the mash...
Then in a few days you wonder why holes start to appear in everything you wear and everywhere you look.

Thanks for sharing!

Breaking bad,,,or considering adopting Beer First protocol for the winter.

Normally I would not be here on a work day, but...only one truck out as it is off season, and only a heap of office work in front of me,,and I had to rack a recent brew today or miss the "spunding window", ...did a trub dump and gravity check on another brew as that fermentor slowing too...and darn if I don't need to keg that one later today too.

So I'll have two open fermentors with fairly fresh yeast cakes...and no normal brew day 'till Sunday.

Was wondering what would happen if I blew off my responsibilities and just brewed whenever I wanted too, and drank beer also...

So I thought I'd ask the OP, how's that working out for you? {;

So I thought I'd ask the OP, how's that working out for you? {;

unfortunately, too well....makes it a pain to eat right....but on a plus note, i might be getting more work this year. get my drinking back under control...

How sad, another drinking career ruined...gook luck anyway, something to do and getting funds for it can't be all bad.... ;} just don't make a habit of it...

you just don't know the struggle it is to stay at 17xlb's as a 6'2" male, and drink 20 beer's a day.....i NEED the work!! i swear it won't ruin my drinking career, just have to keep it to a twelver...lol

Back