trouble mating faucet to shank...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paparker21

Reaction score
Anyone else have have trouble getting their faucet (perlick 525 in my case) to their shank? For some reason i just can't get the collar to thread on right. I've played with it for quite awhile- one of my other 'regular' faucets went on just fine. It seems like the perlick's little teeth aren't mating properly with the teeth on the shank. Because of this, i can't get the collar to tighten all the way down which leads to not having a good compression seal on the gasket material.

Anyone else have problems like this? Did you just take a tiny file to all those little teeth to try and make them mate better?

Ive heard thats common with perlicks and older shanks, mostly chrome plated brass shanks. They fit slightly tighter, so its sometimes hit or miss if they will mate up with your shanks. Some distributors do indicate that their shanks are proven to work with perlicks, others do not indicate it, and you take the risk.
When I installed mine, they did fit pretty tight onto the old shanks, but i was able to tap them on to get them to seat fully. Ive heard of some people installing a second gasket to help fill in the gap. Ive also heard of some people using a die-grinder to remove the teeth on the shank, but i would advise against this...

Beninan is correct. I had that exact problem with my Perlick and a chrome shank. I bought a stainless shank and it solved the problem.

Wiggle the faucet while you try and turn the nut/flange thing. I eventually got them on that way.

I bought a faucet and shank from kegconnection and it didn't mount up. It was a 1 piece shank (their cheapest and an option when you order the faucet). I sent them an email and they sent me a 3 piece shank that worked like a charm and I sent the 'defective' one back.

I have the opposite problem, threading my Perlick 525 onto a gooseneck shank went 100% fine but now I totally can't get it off. Just spins and spins, won't engage to get out. I can seal it up fine and tight again no problem just can't get the thing off for cleaning.

Your issue is worse though, but I bet it'll go with mind numbing patience and wiggling!

It is definitely a common problem and is very odd that Perlick has not addressed it. Seems to only happen with chrome plated brass shanks as mentioned before. When it happened to me, I pushed the faucet onto the shank as much as I could before I started to thread it, this seemed to fit the teeth of the faucet and shank into each other better.

Back