trouble carbonating due to high final OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyBoBandy

Reaction score
After 2 weeks in the primary and 1 week dry hop in the secondary, I bottled a five gallon batch of Stones 15th anniversary black IIPA clone using 5oz priming sugar stirred throughly. I haven't had an issue with carbonation with other ales in the past using the same method. (Usually 7-10 days is sufficient) I absolutely nailed the OG of 1.103 However, with such a HUGE beer I did fall short on the FG with ths one. Target was 1.023 and my reading on bottling day was 1.034. (likely due to insufficient 1 liter starter?) Three weeks after bottling and only the slightest "pssst" when i pop one open. Even after a vigorous pour, no head to speak of. I am assuming the high FG is the culprit here. To my understanding all beer will "eventuality carbonate" on their own, but being an IPA at heart, naturally i would prefer to experience this beast as soon as possible. My question: Is there a precautionary measure to aid carbonation when you fall this short of your target FG, or is patience the key?

High osmotic pressure probably is not to blame here but high alcohol content might be. If the beer is 8 % ABV and you used a yeast strain that poops out at 7 you would neither get the expected attenuation nor much cabonation. Worth reinoculating with a high alcohol tolerance yeast IMO.

Back