Tropical, or Pineapple Fruity beer?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas or recipes for a fruity beer that would make oyu think of the tropics, or even a pineapple flavored beer?

I am looking to make one for a possible "luau" I know I misspelled it, in the future, and I know the SWMBO loves the fruity beers, Ill be honest there's a few times I like them too, loving the blueberry ones

Maybey something incorporating Coconut might be good also

I did a coconut pale ale once with real coconut and shredded coconut. It came out really good in a strange way, but it wasn't all that tropical in the sense that I think you are going for.

Your best bet is to make a neutral, low-hopped base beer like a Cream Ale or basic Wheat Ale and infuse them with a high-quality tea as you serve them in the glass. Juices would also work.

Found this a "Toasted Coconut Porter" that won the NHC over 10 years ago, dont know if thats eough information for me to make a recipe from
Toasted Coconut Porter
Volume = 2.6 gallons
OG = 1.058; FG = 1.021
Boiling time = 60 min
Primary = 20 days at 65F
Secondary = 14 days at 65F

4.4 lb pale malt
0.8 lb chocolate malt
0.3 lb crystal malt (80L)

0.64 oz Northern Brewer whole hops (8.0% alpha) for 60 min
0.32 oz East Kent Golding whole hops (5.4%) for 10 min

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
7.2 oz shredded coconut, toasted (in secondary)
2.18 oz dry malt extract (for priming)

Mash grains at 153F for 90 min. Add toasted coconut to secondary.

Whats everyone's thoughts, there is also a Pineapple Recipe referred to me by Brewmando

Pineapple Pale Ale
- 5 #s extra-pale malt extract
- 1 # crystal malt
- 2 oz cascade hops (bittering) 60 min
- 1 oz hallertauer hops (aroma) 15 min
- 1 oz hallertauer hops (dry hop)
- 1 tsp gypsum
- 1 package belgian ale yeast
- 4 #s fresh hawaiian pineapple - secondary
- 3/4 cup corn sugar (priming)

OG: 1.035

Not sure on it though, could I do something else besides pale ale, I have a long time to test and try different recipes, so im going to stay open to ideas. perhaps make up some 1 gal batches

Well keep the ideas flowing people!

Other Ideas coming up now.. Brewing a light bodied beer as mentioned here, now im thinking I would just want to trow some pineapple down in the keg, as I have no keggging equipment at this point (this idea is about a year away so i got research time, so I am thinking of droppign a pineapple wedge into bottles, making 1 gallon batches to test it out

Whats everyone's thoughts, there is also a Pineapple Recipe referred to me by Brewmando

Pineapple Pale Ale
- 5 #s extra-pale malt extract
- 1 # crystal malt
- 2 oz cascade hops (bittering) 60 min
- 1 oz hallertauer hops (aroma) 15 min
- 1 oz hallertauer hops (dry hop)
- 1 tsp gypsum
- 1 package belgian ale yeast
- 4 #s fresh hawaiian pineapple - secondary
- 3/4 cup corn sugar (priming)

OG: 1.035

Not sure on it though, could I do something else besides pale ale, I have a long time to test and try different recipes, so im going to stay open to ideas. perhaps make up some 1 gal batches

Well keep the ideas flowing people!

I just kegged a 3 gallon version of this beer. Used nottingham instead of belgian ale yeast. Used Crystal Malt 10L. It sounds good but I haven't gotten a chance to taste it yet.

If you can find Citra hops they have a tropical fruit character. Here's USA Hops description:

Citra™, HBC 394

Citra™ is a special aroma hop variety developed by the Hop Breeding Company (a joint venture between John I. Haas, Inc. and Select Botanicals Group, LLC). It was released in 2007. Citra™ has fairly high alpha acids and total oil contents with a low percentage of cohumulone content. The variety imparts interesting citrus and tropical fruit characters to beer.

If you want a commercial example the only one I'm aware of is Sierra Nevada Torpedo. These hops seem perfect for what your trying to do, if your lucky enough to find them.

Over a year ago I made a test batch of a cream ale made with pureed pineapple.

The test batch was one gallon and used only LDME, 1 cup of pureed pineapple, and 1 pack of US-05. S.G.=1.052 F.G.= 1.008

The pineapple although sweet when eaten fresh turned out to be very fermentable. So the sweetness of the pineapple was eliminated and it created an incredibly dry beer, I would even call it a little 'snappy'.

Unforunately most of pineapple's great flavor comes from the balance between the sweet sugars, the incredible aroma, and the strong acidity of the fruit. It really didn't add tons of character to my cream ale.

Instead I ended up with a slightly acidic and dry-finished cream ale that had an ever so slight hint of pineapple...tasted kinda like a poor man's extra-brut champagne.

If I ever try it again I think I would concentrate on adding overripe pineapple to the secondary and try to squeeze some aroma qualities out of it and add some unfermentable sugars/dextrins.

I kinda forgot about this thread, but I've finally tasted my pineapple pale ale and its pretty good. I left the pineapple in the keg for 10-14 days, but for some reason the beer would get carbonated. Not sure why but I just pulled a pint tonight and it came out carbed and tastes great. I would recommend this for a nice summer beer but it seems like it takes forever to carb up.

Had designs on a Pineapple Lambic once... Thought the sours would compliment each other, but I never followed through.

Back