Tropical fruit flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InspectorJon

Reaction score
I see folks using pineapple and mango a lot. I've seen banana and guava. I picked this up at the Asian grocery store and it made me wonder, has anyone ever used Jack fruit? I love me some Jack fruit, it might be good in an IPA.

jackfruit.jpg

The closest flavor I can think of that comes to mind when eating Jack fruit is juicy fruit gum, but not artificial like that.

I've only tried jack fruit once or twice . My daughter who doesnt eat meat used jack fruit as a meat supplement that was seasoned like pulled pork . I've never tried it raw , but I do like juicy fruit gum lol

@Jag75 Un-ripe or green jack fruit is commonly used in some Southeast Asian cuisine. It is used something like we might use fennel bulb or a starchy root. It is pretty tasty but certainly not something one would use in brewing. Ripe jack fruit is a completely different thing. Sweet and delicious. Westerners are largely ignorant of its existence. It is kind of a lot of work to get the good part out of the all the inedible parts that surround it.

Hi Inspector.

I believe what is most compatible with Jack Fruit are the Belgium stiles. Some time ago was in my plans brew a Belgian Blonde Ale with Jack Fruit, what unfortunately never happens.

I think this fruit flavor will mix and fit beautiful with the Belgium yeast esteres. Belgian Blonde, Saison, or even a Belgian Wit.

Back