Triple Scale Hyrdometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomWaggle

Reaction score
I just got mine in with test jar and was wondering if there was anything I had to do beforehand to see if I get accurate readings. I thought I may have heard about using distilled water but that could have been for a refractometer. Thanks in advance. I'm excited to finally see the alcohol percentage in my beer especially since tomorrow is my next brew day.

Just test it in water at 60F if possible. It should read 1.000. Distilled would probably be best but I doubt tap water would be much different.

Just test it in water at 60F if possible. It should read 1.000. Distilled would probably be best but I doubt tap water would be much different.

Thank you...looks like mine is perfect. I'm ready for brew day now.

If you have a scale that's reasonably accurate you can weigh out some table sugar, say 10 grams, into a tared container, then add water until the scale reads 100 grams. Stir to dissolve/mix thoroughly. This solution is 10 °P or 1.040 SG.

Now don't drop it on the ground or into the test tube...

Also if it is a glass test jar with the plastic green base be careful. Those things are super cheap and mine broke when my wife was rinsing it out with warm water from the faucet.

If you have a scale that's reasonably accurate you can weigh out some table sugar, say 10 grams, into a tared container, then add water until the scale reads 100 grams. Stir to dissolve/mix thoroughly. This solution is 10 °P or 1.040 SG.

Hm, I really have to do that.

I also want to note that mine is corrected to 68°F rather than 60°F.

I believe the best quote about this is that they should sell hydrometers in six packs.

Also if it is a glass test jar with the plastic green base be careful. Those things are super cheap and mine broke when my wife was rinsing it out with warm water from the faucet.

Okay thanks for the heads up...mine is the cheap one and I'm not expecting it to last forever but I would like it to last at least a year.

Back