Tripel IPA (Partial mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkarp

Reaction score
Batch size: 3 gal
OG: 1.076
FG: 1.009
SRM: 5
IBU: 62

Ingredients:
2.5 lbs Belgian two-row
2.5 lbs Belgian pils
1 lb clear invert sugar
1 lb pilsener DME
1 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
.5 oz Sterling (20 min)
.5 oz Sterling (10 min)
.5 oz Sterling (5 min)
.5 oz Sterling (1 min)
1 oz Sterling (dry hop)
Chimay yeast (harvested)
1 tsp Irish moss

Instructions:
Single-step mash at 154 for 60 minutes. Batch sparged to 4 gal and did an 80 minute boil to reach the final 3 gal batch size. Fermented at 68 deg for 14 days, dry hopped the final 7.

Tasting:
I cheated.

After a long morning of brewing yesterday, I went to the beer fridge and a bottle of my Tripel IPA said "Try me. You know you want to." But, but you've only been in there 5 days! That's 2-2-5DAYS! Surely you're not ready.

Still, I caved.

I poured. The head was clearly Belgian. There was no doubt it would be around 'till the bottom of the glass where it would be scooped out via greedy fingers. The aroma. OMG, that aroma. OMFG, THAT AROMA! Clearly, a hop farm had exploded inside this beer. Now, for the first sip...

The perfect Belgian Tripel. The perfect IPA. Married as one. I apologize, I'm generally not prone to bragging; in fact, I've made more than my share of stinker beers, but this one... This one is the beer that could easily put me in AA. Better than any homebrew I've ever had. Better than any commercial beer I've ever had. This is my unicorn.

8.6% ABV, 62 IBU, 5 SRM. Tripel IPA:

beer40.jpg

How the hell did you get 87% attenuation mashing at 154? I have been looking for a recipe like this.

Because there's essentially 2 lbs of sugar in there besides the grain, and I use massive starters. I carried back many beers from Belgium last year, including Chimay. I've probably got 2 solid quarts of that strain now. This brew was pitched with at least a half-gallon starter's worth. It hit 1.011 in 5 days and was idle at 1.009 by 14. I went with 154 to insure there was enough malt flavor to balance all those hops.

This looks like a great recipe. congratulations, and I am happy it is working out so well for you.

I will be trying this soon.

How would Belgian Wit yeast work in this, I have some in primary right now which I was going to rack onto.

I will be trying this soon.

How would Belgian Wit yeast work in this, I have some in primary right now which I was going to rack onto.

I wouldn't recommend it, to be honest. Wit yeast has the wrong flavor profile for a Tripel.You really want something in the WLP 500 series.

Back