Trim first year bull shoots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apl_seed

apl_seed
Reaction score
Since the weather here in northern Minnesota hasn't been that cooperative, I planted my newly arrived rhizomes into large pots to get them going a little bit. Hopefully I can get them in the ground next weekend. Anyway.the last couple days several bull shoots have come up on all the plants.They are only an inch or so now, but I wanna know if I should cut them back at any point or if I should just let them go since they are first year plants. I'm not expecting much for a harvest so thats not an issue. I just want to get a good root system going this first year. Any advice? Thanks!

I would suggest leaving them alone for now. The rhizome is obviously health/viable if it's sprouting. I have had the most success with first year plants just leaving them alone w/o pruning.

Also, you may want to consider waiting a month or two before transplanting since they're in big pots. Let the roots develop a bit so they'll hold on to some soil during the transplant. Less stressful on the new plant...

I've been growing hops for 10+ years, transplanted many varieties from root crowns to rhizomes. If first year rhizomes are happy, leave them be :)

Thanks friar. I'll leave everything alone for now and transplant next month. Appreciate the help!

When it comes time to transplant, mark a spot ~24" in diameter, dig it out to 12-18" depth, then back-fill with a mix of the original soil plus a bag of manure/compost mix from Lowes/HD. That will loosen and aerate the soil and provide plenty of nitrogen for the first year, plus the soft mound will encourage deep/vertical rooting and improve drainage. Generally speaking, hops don't like wet feet.

I'll be doing an 8 inch raised bed. Got the holes dug 2'x2'x2' already. The boxes and compost are in the garage ready to go. Just gotta finish up the supports for the bines. Thanks again!

Back