Trillium Deciduous Clone - Hoppy Amber/Red Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSack

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a hoppy red/amber ale for this Autumn and Thanksgiving and I was hoping I could get some input from you guys regarding the recipe. I am a huge fan of Trillium's Deciduous, in fact, it might be my favorite cooler weather beer. Anyone have any ideas on a clone recipe for this thing.

As per their website:

ABV: 8%

MALT: American 2-row Barley, White Wheat, Dextrine, Carared, Carafa

HOPS: Centennial, Columbus

I am thinking about different hop additions, but that is to cater to my palate. Anyone have a suggestion for ratios on these grains? Hopping schedule? etc.

Let me preface this with: I live on the left coast and have never had this beer, or any of their beers. This recipe is just to get someone pointed in the right direction. The grain bill is probably fairly accurate, but the hops I have no idea. I have no idea what IBU or how hoppy the beer is, so I basically put together a red colored DIPA.

Batch Size: 5.5
OG/FG: 1.072/1.012
ABV: 8.0%
IBU: 91.6
SRM: 14.2

Grain: I took the listing on the website to be in decreasing order

12lb 2-row
1.3lb White Wheat Malt
12oz Carapils
12oz Carared
4oz Carafa II

Hops:

1.5oz Columbus @ 60 (64 IBU)
1oz each Centennial/Columbus @ whirlpool 30 minutes (naturally cooling after heat is cut)
1oz Columbus @ Dry hop 4 days
4oz Centennial @ Dry hop 4 days

Yeast:

WLP007 (supposedly the yeast they used, unconfirmed)

Mash:

147F - you can mash really low since you have the carapils to keep body

Water:

I'm not sure whether to do the high SO4/low Cl or the 150ppm each. Maybe someone else can chime in

Good luck!

Let me preface this with: I live on the left coast and have never had this beer, or any of their beers. This recipe is just to get someone pointed in the right direction. The grain bill is probably fairly accurate, but the hops I have no idea. I have no idea what IBU or how hoppy the beer is, so I basically put together a red colored DIPA.

Batch Size: 5.5
OG/FG: 1.072/1.012
ABV: 8.0%
IBU: 91.6
SRM: 14.2

Grain: I took the listing on the website to be in decreasing order

12lb 2-row
1.3lb White Wheat Malt
12oz Carapils
12oz Carared
4oz Carafa II

Hops:

1.5oz Columbus @ 60 (64 IBU)
1oz each Centennial/Columbus @ whirlpool 30 minutes (naturally cooling after heat is cut)
1oz Columbus @ Dry hop 4 days
4oz Centennial @ Dry hop 4 days

Yeast:

WLP007 (supposedly the yeast they used, unconfirmed)

Mash:

147F - you can mash really low since you have the carapils to keep body

Water:

I'm not sure whether to do the high SO4/low Cl or the 150ppm each. Maybe someone else can chime in

Good luck!
Hey, thanks a lot. I'm fairly new, so organizing the grain bill was my big problem and I like what you did here. Thank you!

Hey, thanks a lot. I'm fairly new, so organizing the grain bill was my big problem and I like what you did here. Thank you!

No problem! If you brew it, let us know how close it is! Or send me a bottle of the real thing and I can work on the recipe :mug:

Notes courtesy of beer advocate:

We brew Deciduous to welcome the return of Autumn and celebrate New England's changing foliage. This imperial red ale is russet-amber and fills the nose with pleasant aromas of fresh baked bread, pine sap, and floral citrus. Deciduous embodies the seasonal transition from summer to winter with an earth, lemon and spicy pine aroma balanced on the palate with a hearty malt character and clean, refreshing bitterness. Deciduous is medium in body and dry on the finish.

Earth, lemon, spicy pine. That leads me to believe that Chinook could be present. Are you familiar with Sap by Tree House? If so, that piney citrus dank flavor is due to the Chinook hops.

I have not had this particular beer, but I have had many other offerings for tree house. For a 5 gallon batch, I'd recommend really increasing the whirlpool additions. You will get some bitterness, but mostly hop flavor and aroma.

For example, I brew 3 gallon batches and yield 2.5 gallons to my keg. Typically, I'll bitter with 1oz at 60 and then a 3-4oz addition to the whirlpool after the wort cools to roughly 180F. I'll allow these hops to steep for 40 minutes.

Best of luck!

I am aware of Sap and I do think you are correct about the Chinook. I have been doing late hop additions for a few of my recent hoppy beers and really like the outcome, so I will definitely be doing a whirlpool addition. Thanks for the input.

It may lend itself well to that combo. Would it be a clone? No. Would it be tasty? Probably!

Back