Tried to brew a chocolate porter but something isn't right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuval

Reaction score
Well, i tried to brew this one but something is'nt quite right with the flavor, i used raw cocca nibs, 150 gram per 20 liters, and there are some off flavors, kinda earthy mess, it was in the secondery for 3 weeks, sanitized in bourbon for 3 days, maybe the problem was with the recipe? the fermentation was way too warm, maybe that's the reason?
Anyway, here is a new recipe, maybe ditch the cocca nibs or replace it with something else to achive chocolaty flavor?
Grain bill:
60% 3.000 kg Muntons Light Malt Extract
10% 0.500 gr Toasted quick Oats
10% 0.500 gr Weyermann Caramunich III (about 60L)
6% 0.300 gr Crystal 150L
5% 0.250 gr Weyermann Carafa I
4% 0.200 gr Dark Brown Sugar
4% 0.200 gr Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1% 0.050 gr Black Malt
Steep specialty grains 45 min. at 170.
Boil for 60 min.
og: 1.059
fg: 1.016
Hops:
30 mins 30 grams Magnum

Yeast:
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Ferment at 65 for 7 days.
Secondery for 2 weeks at the same temp.

Srm: 29
Alcohol by vol.: 5.7

Would you recommend me to add something or leave as is?

But the main off flavor i'm getting is from the cocca nibs, i think, it's definitely not "pure chocolate" flavor, maybe cocca powder is better or this new recipe can work on it's own, maybe i should give it a go without adding anything.

Without knowing exactly what to add to counteract the off-flavors you're getting I would agree with your idea of waiting. Give the beer some time to carb and age and then try it again. Who knows, maybe it will turn out better than you expected.

Couple off-the-cuff thoughts (take them with a grain of salt): 1) vanilla can make cocoa taste more like chocolate. 2) to me, Carafa tastes more like coffee than chocolate. Maybe try actual chocolate malt next time?

Last time the specialty grains consisted of 200 grams of 150L crystal malt and the same amount of chocolate malt and 100 gr of quick oats, still, with the cocca nibs not very chocolatey, the batch was for 20L, now the bill is for 25L.
Regarding the aging, the beer did improve a bit, not enough to cover it's flaws, it's 3 months old now.

Back