Tried lower fermentation temperature....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowerking

Reaction score
I tried something different with a batch from this weekend. I've been reading through posts for quite some time and thought it would be a good time to really lower the fermentation temp as many have said this will create a better beer.

I used a large cooler and put the bucket inside with some large frozen plastic bottles of water inside to keep it cool. The beer is fermenting at about 50 degrees, which is ideal for the type of yeast I'm using (according to their package). The beer started fermenting and as the fermenter is closed in a cooler the original smell of the fermenter was that of beer oder, typical smells that come out of the air lock.

Over the next few days I've noticed a rather strong sulfer like oder each time I open the cooler to change the ice and check the temp. The oder has actually become rather strong and overpowering.

My questions are: Is this normal when fermenting at lower temps?

Will this effect the beer taste?

Why the by-product smell?

Thanks for any input on the subject. I'm still a newb and have been trying more and more techniques learned from the boards in an effort to brew better beer.

What is the yeast you are using?

Since you said the package says 50 degrees is optimal temp, I have to assume that you are using a lager yeast, and if using a lager yeast it is perfectly normal to have sulfur smells. Nothing to worry about at all.

If you are doing a lager, are you aware of the diacetyl rest you may need to do and the long, cold aging that is usually required?

The yeast is a Saflager S-23 yeast. This is the first time with this type of yeast as I'm trying some different yeasts.

"If you are doing a lager, are you aware of the diacetyl rest you may need to do and the long, cold aging that is usually required?"

What would you mean by long and I'm not sure what you mean by diacetyl. I know different styles have different periods of conditioning but wouldn't really have a time period pegged for this one.

A lager primary ferment usually takes about 10-15 days. Towards the end of that ferment, you'd typically slowly raise the temp up to say 60F for 3 days and then you'd want to "lager" it by racking to secondary and dropping the temp to about 35F for as long as you can keep your grubby hands off it; no less than a month, preferably 3-6 months. I've also heard of skipping the diacytel rest (the temp raising part) by simply leaving it in primary at fermenting temps for a couple more weeks. See, raising the temp simply quickens the process of the yeast cleaning up after themselves. It would happen at the lower temps but just slower.

So... did you realize what you were getting yourself into with the lager?

Sulphur smell is very normal for many lager yeasts from what I understand. I experienced it with using the W34/70 strain in my lagers.

I've used Saflager S-23 and it generates a typical sulfur smell. I brought it into the house after hitting FG and let it sit for three days, before lagering. I was quite satisfied with the results.

Back