Tried first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooligansteve

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of Brewer's Best American Micro Style pale ale. Bottled 3 weeks later. They've been in the bottle for two weeks. Chilled and tried one today. It tasted pretty bad.
Recipe was 6.6 lbs Plain Light LME
12 oz. Crystal malt 60L
1.5 oz cascade hops - 60 min
1.5 oz. willamette hops - 5 min
whatever yeast came with the kit

When tasted, it is very bitter. There is no fruitiness to the hops, only a harsh bitterness.
Will this fade with time?

Brewed a batch of Brewer's Best American Micro Style pale ale. Bottled 3 weeks later. They've been in the bottle for two weeks. Chilled and tried one today. It tasted pretty bad.
Recipe was 6.6 lbs Plain Light LME
12 oz. Crystal malt 60L
1.5 oz cascade hops - 60 min
1.5 oz. willamette hops - 5 min
whatever yeast came with the kit

When tasted, it is very bitter. There is no fruitiness to the hops, only a harsh bitterness.
Will this fade with time?

LOL! Edit: Sorry didn't read everything. NOW I see your hop schedule. :)

Now that I have read everything, I am assuming 5gal batch here. According to Qbrew, you should have 44 IBUs with this batch and a ~6% ABV. This may need more time to mellow out. Also, Qbrew lists your calculated IBU's at the top end of the style levels.

Random question, but how cold was it when you tried it. I noticed my oatmeal stout was bitter harsh when cold but was better warm. It has since mellowed out with time (3months in bottle)

Hopefully time with make it better.

Back