Trident hops, hop combination tool & NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I recently stumbled across this tool for comparing hops. Find Similar Hops - Beer Maverick
It suggested that Trident (a new blend) is very similar to Citra. They've also got a tool where you can see how 3 hop varieties compare in flavor/aroma profile. I thought that tool could also be used to see how 3 hops compliment each other. For instance with Citra, El Dorado, and Mosaic they all overlap on tropical/citrus, but Mosaic adds some pine and resin (picture attached).

I also recently came across this excellent YouTube series. Our Lallemand & Verdant Inspired New England IPA - The Craft Beer Channel
I wanted to try their recipe, but having no Citra or BRU-1, but a lot of Trident and El Dorado on hand, I brewed it with those instead (I also cut out the magnum). The 3 hop tool suggested to me that it would be tropical with a lot of stone fruit. This thing came out like an absolute mango juice bomb. The Verdant yeast is amazing and I think the Trident hops worked really well. So maybe Trident is a good backup for Citra? The grain bill with tons of oats and carapils, and the huge amount of chloride really pushed this beer over the edge. I've been on a quest for the perfect NEIPA and I dont see anything to change about this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210225-200728_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210225-200728_Chrome.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210223_192242.jpg
    20210223_192242.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Thanks for the link. Interestingly (to me at least :)) when I went to save the link I discovered I had this tool from the same site in my Beer Tools folder.
I've used this over the years when a "new to me" hop shows up in the retail market to compare characteristics to strains I've used before...

https://beermaverick.com/hops/hop-comparison-tool/
Cheers!

Back