Tri Tip Steaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
SWMBO loves Tri Tip Steaks from Costco. For $4.99 a pound, it is hard to beat since there is no fat or bone to deal with. The marbling adds just the right touch when cooked properly.

I let them sit out for an hour to come up to room temp, then I rub them with VOO and sprinkle McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning on all sides and pat it in. I sear both sides at 700 degrees one the egg for about 60 seconds each, then I pull them off to rest for about 15 minutes while I bring the egg temp down to 400. Then back they go for about 4 minutes a side or till they hit 135 degrees internal.

TriTipSteaks.jpg

Tonight is Ribs! Hmmm good.

Melana said:
Is it wrong to want steak for breakfast?

Steak & Double Dog for Breakfast? Nope, that was last night. I just didn't get around to posting it till this morning.

Ribs today. Mmmm.

I was on the fence before, but between this and the post last night - I'm off here in the next hour or so to buy a big green egg... any advice on accessories? At first thought I want the XL (I'm from Texas, bigger is ALWAYS better), but my gut tells me the regular sized one will be plenty big for everything we'd ever use it for...

John Beere said:
I was on the fence before, but between this and the post last night - I'm off here in the next hour or so to buy a big green egg... any advice on accessories? At first thought I want the XL (I'm from Texas, bigger is ALWAYS better), but my gut tells me the regular sized one will be plenty big for everything we'd ever use it for...

EggHead Forum

John Beere said:

Go for the large. It's cheaper and you can then get another one later. The XL still has hinge problems (they've gone through several iterations already) and temp regulating issues. I personally don't think it is ready for prime time, so I'm waiting it out for at least another season to see if they get things ironed out for it.

The time to get one is during an Eggfest. You usually save $200 on one.

EdWort said:

Now you have me convinced I need a Big Green Egg, I have been eying them up for years but never pulled the trigger. I have a Weber gas grill I only use for searing now, a Traeger Pellet grill that I do all my grilling on and an occasional smoke on, and a Cook Shack Smoker that I have had for years and can smoke in my sleep with.
I am also a fan of Ray Lampe a/k/a Dr. BBQ and see him using the eggs in his books and on TV.
I have some Omaha Steaks that a vendor gave us thawed in the fridge and wasn’t looking forward to freezing my ass off out in the cold while grilling, if I had the egg I could set it right in front of the patio door & it would only be a couple steps away plus I could keep an eye on it better there too.
What size to you have a Medium or Large? It’s just the SWMBO & I so I don’t need too big of one, just enough for 4 big Rib eyes or Porterhouses if we have guests over.

Edwort those look great.

Last tri-tip I did was salted, spiced and slow roasted. They are a pretty good cut of meat! MMMM MMMM

EdWort said:
Go for the large. It's cheaper and you can then get another one later. The XL still has hinge problems (they've gone through several iterations already) and temp regulating issues. I personally don't think it is ready for prime time, so I'm waiting it out for at least another season to see if they get things ironed out for it.

The time to get one is during an Eggfest. You usually save $200 on one.

Thanks - I just read that elsewhere about the XL. The large looks like it will be plenty... Unfortunately, I just found out the hardware store which carries them is closed on Sundays - so my afternoon plans have been postponed until tomorrow.

EdWort,
I'm digging all the BBQ you're showing off, and I've longed for one of those Eggs for some time.

I have to raise an issue with this one though. As a former resident of Lompoc, CA and neighbor to Santa Maria, Home of the ORIGINAL TRI TIP BBQ, it is unnatural to cut it up before grilling it, and to get the right authentic experience it should be cooked on CA red oak, not charcoal.

I'm not saying you're not going to enjoy it the way you're doing it, just that it's not done that way where it's from. Kind of like my brisket in a slow cooker, vs. the proper TX way...
:mug:

Bon Appétit,
Matt

ma2brew said:
I have to raise an issue with this one though. As a former resident of Lompoc, CA and neighbor to Santa Maria, Home of the ORIGINAL TRI TIP BBQ, it is unnatural to cut it up before grilling it, and to get the right authentic experience it should be cooked on CA red oak, not charcoal.

Yeah, I did get a couple of whole tri-tips too, but SWMBO loves the steaks. I'll be doing the whole tri tips later in the week after they marinate overnight.

I do cook on Oak Hardwood Natural Lump charcoal. It's Texas Oak though. :D

My SWMBO found these tips ar COSCO in the summer of 2005. Great flavor and just enough meat. The best thing is that you can grill these like steaks or do something like you would do with a hanger steak or skirt steak. I soaked this in red wine and did a Roquefort creme sauce w/ shallots. Unbelievable !!

Also did a simple grilled steak with these and did a red wine butter with orange juice. I thought this butter would taste like a$$ as I hate orange juice and cooking, but you couldn't taste the orange and it had a nice "bright" flavor.

Variation on the theme:

Use lemon pepper seasoning for the rub. Be VERY generous with the lemon pepper, as a lot of it will be lost during the sear.

About 5 minutes before finishing them, add a big chunk of apple wood to the fire.

The lemon pepper and apple smoke are freakin' outstanding!

Pair with a black & tan.

Apple? Interesting....

I usually finish off my beef with Mesquite saving the Apple for poultry or pork. Apple and Cherry mixed is my go to for ribs.....

Back