Treated myself to a Mixer 6er.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Gotta love the local Hy Vee - picked up a Mixer 6'er for $8.99

2007-12-31b%20011.jpg

Just finished the Great Divide Titan IPA - strong, very strong. Almost 7% abv. Great head, fantastic piney aromas. The standard american C's come through mid-drink, and then it finishes with a great sweet, malty aftertaste that you wouldn't expect from an IPA.

2007-12-31b%20013.jpg

The others are:
Great Divide's St. Bridgett Porter
Great Divide's Denver Pale Ale
Breckenridge's Hefe Proper
Tommyknocker's Butthead Doppelbock
Big Sky's Moose Drool

I tried to pick 6 good-lookin' beers I had never tried before. I'll post re: the others as they are quaffed.

I had the TommyKnocker a long time ago, don't remeber if it was any good. A couple years ago I had a beer tasting party with all of my BMC friends. In an atempt to expand my friends horizons I required everyone to bring a six pack of any micro. We all sampled and than they all voted Moose Drool as the best.

Its hard to go wrong with Great Divide. Ive almost bought their DPA so many times, but always seem to go with something else. I need to buy some Tommy Knockers again. The last case i got turned out to be pretty old so the flavors seemed pretty bland and the carbonation was quite low. Ive had a couple proper ones and they were pretty good.

Big Sky's Moose Drool - I was already drunk when I opened it, but I remember drinking it still. It was not what I expected from a brown ale - I was expecting bready, biscuity, nutty tastes. This was much lighter. Almost watery, but not in a bad way, just in a very drinkable way. This gets the same "Tastes like dark Budweiser" comment I gave to Shiner Bock - BUT. This time, saying that is a good thing. Last time it wasn't. All in all, very drinkable. If I brewed a keg of this and had friends over, it would be gone at the end of the night. Not something I can say about most of my brews. (Friends don't like flavor, color, or mouthfeel, it would seem.)

Had a nice quiet movie night with the roomie, so we knocked out two of the maltier selections.

Great Divide St. Bridget Porter - Fantastic. I can't describe much of what I remember, it was just tasty. It was everything a classic robust porter should be. Perfect head and lace, great color, fantastic mouthfeel. I could drink this beer daily.

Tommyknocker's Doppelbock - Not as good. Someone mentioned carbonation problems, I will +1 that. I popped the cap and barely even got a "pfft" out of it. Poured with almost no head at all. Color is great - brilliant, clear reddish mahogany. Taste is interesting. There is either an ester from the yeast, or perhaps one of the raisiny or plum overtones to this beer that doesn't sit well. I had to sip slowly and make the roomie drink most of this, because it put my stomach in danger of entering yak mode. Same problem I have often with weizenbocks, so it could definitely be a yeast profile type of thing.

@EricS, I read your post like four times before I finally noticed that everyone brought a random 6pk. That's a fantastic idea, I might try that at the next poker game! Thanks!

chriso said:
@EricS, I read your post like four times before I finally noticed that everyone brought a random 6pk. That's a fantastic idea, I might try that at the next poker game! Thanks!

Yeah it was pretty cool, just make sure that you tell them that they can't bring any BMC, I told them if they tried I wouldn't let them in the door.:D

As for the Moose Drool, I didn't really care for it either, but "they" all voted on it. Instead I drank up most of the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale that TWO people brought.:rockin:

I've never had the Tommyknocker dopplebock, but I really like their maple nut brown. I think that's their best beer.

The Moose Drool's good, and the Breckenridge Hefe was OK.

I don't think I've had any of the Great Divide beers.

Back