Traveling with beer - to chill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ackgod

Reaction score
I am traveling home for the holidays and want to bring a case of homebrew home to share with the family. I will be driving in the car for about 5 hrs or so and was wondering if i should chill the beer ahead of time or if i should just bring the beer warm (not previously put in the fridge) and put in the the fridge when i get home. It would probably only be in the fridge for a day at max if i do it without refrigerating it first.

I guess the root of my question is, which is worse: chilling, warming, re-chilling, or only chilling for a little bit?

Its recommended that beer be refrigerated for a while to allow the CO2 in the headspace of the bottle to dissolve into the beer. This will give you the proper carbonation and head on the beer. Typically 48 hours is sufficient from what I've been told on here as well as what I've found over the past month or so when I became aware of it.

Long story short I think your best option is to chill and allow it to warm up on the ride and chill it back down when home. Honestly though, it will still be great beer if you cant do this.

I think I would keep it chilled at home, then keep it chilled on the ride and keep it chilled on arrival. THe colder the brew is the , less likely co2 will come out of solution and you wont have to worry so much about the bumps on the road.

I am traveling home for the holidays and want to bring a case of homebrew home to share with the family. I will be driving in the car for about 5 hrs or so and was wondering if i should chill the beer ahead of time or if i should just bring the beer warm (not previously put in the fridge) and put in the the fridge when i get home. It would probably only be in the fridge for a day at max if i do it without refrigerating it first.

I guess the root of my question is, which is worse: chilling, warming, re-chilling, or only chilling for a little bit?

I take beer from NY to VT all the time. Cool at home, place in cooler with ice then place in fridge upon arrival at families and enjoy

Latest posts

Back