Traveling to Orlando, FL (beer advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
We're taking a family trip to Disney/Universal next week and my daughter is going to buy beer before coming to the resort so I'm looking for some good recommendations for "local" beers. Ideally it will be something you can buy at Publix (she is also grocery shopping!).

I have Jai Alai on the list but what else is good? Probably looking at some lower ABV pale/blonde/American ales, maybe something "tropical", or something that's good sitting by the pool or after a long day putting up with Harry Potter!

I lived in FL 20 years ago and the beer scene may have changed a little since then! :D

Here are my suggestions for great local beers you can find at Publix. I live in the Tampa area, so I imagine you can find most of the same beers in Orland.

3 Daughters (out of St. Petersburg) has three beers you can usually find at Publix.
-Beach Blonde Ale - light and very drinkable.
-Bimini Twist IPA - not my favorite compared to what you can get at their brewery - Jai -Alai is better IMO.
-Rod Bender Red - easy drinking red/amber.

Cigar City (out of Tampa)
- Invasion Pale Ale - one of my favorites.

Big Storm (out of Clearwater)
- Wavemaker is a solid beer

Also, keep an eye out for Funky Buddha. We don't get them too often in Publix on the Tampa side, but maybe on the Orlando side of I-4 you might find them. Most of my other favorites don't can/bottle yet. Hope this helps.

If you are near downtown, check out Tap & Grind. They usually have a decent amount of Florida beers on tap (heavy on the Miami-area breweries) but also get in a good amount of rare stuff from around the country at unbeatable prices.

Swamp Head up in Gainesville has some good options as well. I'm pretty sure their distribution has gotten to Orlando at this point but I'm not positive.

Swamp Head up in Gainesville has some good options as well. I'm pretty sure their distribution has gotten to Orlando at this point but I'm not positive.

I miss Swamp Head so much since I left Gainesville. I haven't seen them in cans in Tampa yet, but I've seen them on tap in a bunch of places.

I was in Ft Lauderdale last week, Key West Sunset Ale is good, also had Funky Buddha Floridian Hef, very yummy, as was Stiltsville Pils from Concrete Beach Brewing but steer clear of Monk in the Trunk from Inlet Brewing. Tasted like fish water.

Swamp head is good... Sometimes. Very inconsistent. First Magnitude blows them out of the water in Gainesville. Try Green Bench's stuff if you can get it. They have a grissette with Brett and a BA sour that are both incredible.

Unfortunately a lot of breweries in FL that distribute aren't that great. 3 Daughters is meh at best

Look for Funky Buddha's Last snow, Nib Smuggler, Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. Probably not at Publix, but maybe at a Total Wine down there. +1 to Green Bench and First Magnitude beers. Bold City (Duke's Brown is good) and Intuition brewing out of Jacksonville would probably be down there in Publix too. You'll definitely see Orange Blossom Pilsner, its brewed by Orange Blossom Brewing in Orlando. They have a standard OBP and OBP2 that's basically an imperial pilsner coming in at 11%.

My current local favorite availble in Publix is cigar city Florida Cracker. Its a tart wheat similar to Bell's Oarsman. Only in cans. Very nice.

Back