Trappist IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about brewing an IPA and using Trappist yeast. I'm having trouble deciding on what hops I should use. The recipe will be partial mash and I plan to use a combination of 2-row pale malt along with carapils and I guess Munich malt but I'm open to suggestions on that one.

My goal is to get some fruitier American hops in there but I really want the Trappist part of the beer to stand up. I'm a huge fan of cascade and Amarillo hop aromas but I'm wondering how that will play out with the trappist yeast.

I'm also not sure if I want to go full IPA or just stick to a pale ale. I feel that the strong bitterness and fruity aroma from an IPA would blend better with the Trappist yeast.

Really any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.

Sorachi Ace might play nicely with Belgian yeast. Maybe look into some clone recipes for Stone's Cali-Belgique IPA. That might be a good place to start.

Still, it might give him a halfway decent reference point for some ingredients that work with a Belgian yeast strain. Especially since he says he's wanting to use American hops.

There is no such thing as a Trappist IPA, or even a Trappist-style IPA.

Trappist yeasts are used in Belgian-inspired beers that aren't Trappist-like in style, including things like New Belgium Belgo, but please for the love of good beer don't describe something as Trappist-style when it's not. (I prefer Americans not even refer to beers that are distinctly American-styled like American IPAs as Belgium when they nudge them slightly toward that rather than actually making a Belgian-style beer or a riff on a style found in Belgium.)

That said... consider a grain and hop bill that seems like an English IPA or one of the less intense American IPAs, possibly subbing in some noble hops for some or all of the later additions, and pitch the Trappist yeast (I'd go with either Wyeast 3787, from Westmalle, or 1762, from Rochefort; the latter has a little bit less pronounced of a Trappist character but is still unmistakeably so) and then ferment a little warmer than you often do. Consider a sugar adjunct to boost attenuation.

Look for a raging ***** clone too. I believe there are a couple of threads around. It uses wyeast 3522 (achouffe) as well as Amarillo and Columbus.

Back