Trappist High Gravity Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarles

Reaction score
So through some miscommunications with my local orchard/cider presser i ended up with a couple extra gallons of raw cider this year so i decided to experiment.

I added 3 gallons of raw cider onto a huge Trappist High Gravity Yeast cake (this would be the 3rd generation cake), the OG of the cider alone was 1.052 I also added sugar to boost the OG up to around 1.079-1.08. within an hour the airlock was already going crazy and i figured i was in the clear. But today i went to go check to gravity and it is only at 1.052, after 3 weeks of steady airlock activity.

I made a huge yeast nutrient addition when i added the sugar and have added a tablespoon about every 10 days since and have kept the fermentor anywhere between 65-70 degrees the whole time. Never did i get any 'sulfur' smells out of the airlock.

My experience with this yeast is that is BLASTS through any sugars set in front of it. Is there anything i can do to speed up this fermentation? should i try cranking up the heat in the fermentation chamber to the mid 70s? Could i have possibly added to much nutrient? or should i just shutup and let this one ride out?

Had the same issue myself, I gave it another month and still no further fermentation, I just repitched yesterday. You may want to get a starter going to finish it out.

The lack of attenuation can be attributed to your massive over pitching. When you overpitch, the yeast skips growth phase and there isn't enough nutrition for any of the cells, leaving you with a whole lot of half starved yeast that can't get much done.

Back