Transporting Primary just before racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmanbt

Reaction score
Just a question about the behavior of the yeast: My primary is in my bedroom closet, but when I want to rack to my secondary, I am going to be doing that in the kitchen. Is that going to disturb some of the yeasties? Should I maybe move it to the kitchen counter a day or two ahead of time to let things settle down?

It'll only take a few minutes to settle.
I don't ever worry about it though. All the yeasties settle again in the bottle after they do the conditioning magic.

I usually move it to where it'll be, then start getting everything else ready. Usually by then time you're ready it's settled again. But sometimes I'll place it there the night before.

I move mine at least a couple days before I'm going to rack out of the fermenter. But I'm freakishly anal about things like that so I'm probably going overboard.

I don't see any need to do this days in advance, but I would recommend doing it at least for a few hours, if not overnight. I will usually pull the fermenter from the basement and bring it up to our kitchen the night prior to bottling. This will give the yeast and trub enough time to compact again at the bottom of the primary. I also use a bottling bucket, so between that and the time I allow the fermenter to settle back down, I never have any clumps of yeast or trub when bottling.

Latest posts

Back