Transporting cold corneys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
Maybe this has already been discussed. I recently bought some 3 gallon pin lock cornies. I then thought it would be great to take these somewhere.

I figured I could get them cold and carb them up to regular pressure. Then buy one of those 5 gallon sports coolers and throw some ice in there. Bring the co2 tank along and when serving pressure gets low just give it a shot of co2.

They even have 10 gallon water coolers that would probably work for the 5 gallon kegs.

What do you think?

I was thinking this is one of the best ideas that I've ever come up with!

Why not go all out and add a tap to the cooler? Even if you stick with a picnic tap, it is worth it to get a paintball CO2 tank and regulator that will fit in the cooler. Much easier than even a 5 lb. CO2 tank. Also, most sporting good stores which carry paint ball equipment can refill the smaller tanks. By the way, that is a 3 gallon pin lock keg in the cooler. I changed it over to a ball lock keg by replacing the posts.

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Second on the paintball CO2 tank, regulator, and swapping the posts to ball lock. If you go with the round 10 gallon drink cooler, the tank will need to be external.

FYI: A 3 gallon pin lock will fit in a 5 gallon cooler, but the lid wont fit without modification, and there is no room for the disconnects or lines unless you cut holes in the lid. (I had a 5 before I went with the 10. Never looked back.)

A nice feature of making one of these coolers is that unless you are going to leave it out in the sun all day during the summer, you won't even need ice. They hold temp really well.

As far as getting the beer into the 3 gallon kegs . . . I fill mine off of 5 gallon kegs. This makes it more flexible, since I never know what beer I'll want to be carting around, but its also really important to get the beer off of the sediment before you move it.

MiniKegCooler-Tap.jpg

MiniKegCooler-CO2.jpg

MiniKegCooler - TopView.jpg

^Whoa that's a sweet idea! I have been contemplating making a jockey box, but I think I like the 5 gallon cooler idea a bit better. Definitely a cheaper option that's for sure!

How do you go about transferring from your 5 gallon keg to the 3 gallon? Just right off the tap or what?

make a transfer hose by attaching beer out quick disconnects (as opposed to gas in quick disconnects) to both ends of a beer hose. attach one quick disconnect to the beer out post on the 5 gallon keg and the other end to the beer out post on the 3 gallon keg. Open the pressure relief valve on the 3 gallon keg or remove the lid. voila, the beer will transfer to the 3 gallon keg.

Why not go all out and add a tap to the cooler? Even if you stick with a picnic tap, it is worth it to get a paintball CO2 tank and regulator that will fit in the cooler. Much easier than even a 5 lb. CO2 tank. Also, most sporting good stores which carry paint ball equipment can refill the smaller tanks. By the way, that is a 3 gallon pin lock keg in the cooler. I changed it over to a ball lock keg by replacing the posts.

I like this. I was hoping others had thought of this.

Which model of cooler is this? The 60 quart?

Holy ****. That's great.

Back