Transporting and serving my kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochsner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a refridgerator at home that I have installed 4 taps in. It works great. I am about to take to kegs to a party for the first time. I will just be keeping them in a tub with ice and serving with picnic taps.
What kind of problems will I have? Will I have foaming issues? What can I do to minimize it?

You shouldn't have a foaming issues. You'll probably have a lot of sediment in suspension though. All the gunk that has settled to the bottom of your kegs will get shook up in the process. If you have the time and the materials I'd suggest force transferring the one keg to another right before you go. Make a jumper using quick disconnects from the out of one keg to another. Using CO2 purge the new keg and push the beer from one keg to the other (while burping the new keg). When almost full keep an eye on your jumper. When you see foam yank the sucker off. Then you'll have a nice clear keg to take on your journey. :mug:

You shouldn't have a foaming issues. You'll probably have a lot of sediment in suspension though. All the gunk that has settled to the bottom of your kegs will get shook up in the process. If you have the time and the materials I'd suggest force transferring the one keg to another right before you go. Make a jumper using quick disconnects from the out of one keg to another. Using CO2 purge the new keg and push the beer from one keg to the other (while burping the new keg). When almost full keep an eye on your jumper. When you see foam yank the sucker off. Then you'll have a nice clear keg to take on your journey. :mug:

Understand that Hammy is telling you to transfer from the out side of the full keg to the out side of the empty keg. You don't want your good carbonated beer dropping from the top of the keg, but to be pushed up from the bottom.

Can you deliver your kegs early? Get them there early in the day or even better the day before, put em on ice and you'll be golden

One more question, I don't know why I am having such a hard time wrapping my head around this. I store and carbonate my kegs in a closet that is 55 degrees. I set the pressure according to one of the calculators and give it a couple of weeks to carb. When I move it to my kegerator at 35 degrees I wait a day for it to cool and then set it to the proper pressure for that temperature according to the calculator. It always gets a lot more foamy than if I just carbonate it in the kegerator. What am I doing wrong?

Back