Transporting a keg via motorcycle...any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
All,

I've brewed what I hope will be a nice bitter in order to take from TN to Pennsylvania here in a few weeks. It has been sitting in the secondary looking tasty and is about ready to keg.

The catch: It has to go on this:

BMW_R100_GS.jpg

:ban:

My plan was to pressurize it up to about, oh, maybe 5-8 pounds so that it wouldn't be a frothy mess at the end of the 500 mile trip. Does that sound feasible?

I'm not that concerned about how to strap it or whatever. With my redneck DNA, I can strap stuff to moving pieces of **** with my eyes shut. :D

I am a bit concerned about it getting too hot, and I'd love to hear some thoughts about that. I've considered several options, but not really happy with any. Have any that you'd like to share?

WOW! Never heard of such an adventure.... A few thoughts. If you have the ability I would keg it & then transfer to another keg after a few weeks to allow the yeast to settle & remain in the first keg after transferring. Do a search on Keg-to-keg transfer and/or brite tank. That will help eliminate most of the yeast. During the trip I'd think you would want to shield it from the sun. I've always thought those foam roll up camping mats would work good to insulate a keg. It's going to need some time to settle down once you arrive in PA. If you can give it a couple of days undisturbed in a fridge, or chilled somehow, that should help. Good luck!! We need pics & the final results 'cause this has to be a first. Cheers!!!

I can't see that it would be any different that transporting in my car, except for the heat/sun issue. Shielding it somehow may help keep it cooler. I know a keg sitting outside feels hot to the touch in the sun!

I'd do what was already suggested- jump to a new keg right before transporting to minimize any sediment in the keg. You should be fine.

Are you bringing a small co2 tank or using a portable "gun" charger? Picnic tap?

Some pals who will be in pennsylvania are going to have the co2 and taps there. I love the idea of transferring to another keg after some time to settle, right before I leave. Thanks!

I did wonder about wrapping the keg in one of those emergency blankets for hikers, perhaps with a bit of dry ice? But I've never used dry ice before and wasn't sure how long it would last. If it goes really quickly, it wouldn't be worth it. Except that I do like the image of a trail of dry ice "smoke" behind the bike as I go along. Wouldn't that be awesome? :)

dry ice is just CO2.... maybe you could add it directly to the keg (inside)? No experience with that though.

If that works, that'd be a neat way to keep a keg cool. It would also pressurize it as it melted, probably enough to dispense with. Hmmmm.........

this is an awesome idea. You have got to post pictures of it once you figure it out. Seems like it would be in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or Easy Rider or something like that.

And I applaud the fact that you aren't worried about attaching it. I am just trying to think of a way to do it, and to be honest that seems challenging.

And again not a keg but two adults, one child driver and a baby, I'm sure a keg would be a non-issue:
fouronascooter.jpg

Well if you've got the strapping down figured out & are only concerned about the heat, you could wrap the keg in an ice blanket: http://www.roshgo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=rc01/CTGY/01112
and then wrap it all up in a thermal shipping cover: http://www.roshgo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=rc01/CTGY/01101
You could also securely strap a cooler to the bike & then place your keg & coolant (blue ice or regular water ice) in the cooler. Some duct tapbe and/or bungee cord to keep the lid closed & you're all set.
Regards, GF.

As i've learned, make sure you have good seals on your keg...my 'in' poppit leaked in the trunk with all the bumps over a 4 hr drive, and my red was flat when i arrived

may want to hit it with a last blast of co2 before you go to seal it up...

So have these guys.

Hey maybe the guys from American Chopper can build a motorcycle with space for beer in the wheels. ;)

Or you could just go buy one of these bad boys.

Rokon3.jpg

saw it on pawn stars a few weeks back. It's an offroad crawler type bike, but the wheels/rims are hollowed out to carry extra gas. Or beer.:mug:

I think I've about got it worked out. we are supposed to leave on wednesday. I will take pics and keep you posted!

So have these guys.

kegBike.jpg

hahahaha rad! thats outside my LHBS! FHSteinbarts. that van has always been there too, quite funny.
That bike is from the HUB brewery about 3 blocks from my work... i'm in an awesome town.

Yeah I saw that episode too...I think though, you should use new tires. I'm not a big fan of gas with my IPAs.

awe... don't like growin some hair on them peaches rev? hehe

dry ice is just CO2.... maybe you could add it directly to the keg (inside)? No experience with that though.

If that works, that'd be a neat way to keep a keg cool. It would also pressurize it as it melted, probably enough to dispense with. Hmmmm.........

Dry ice and liquid creates A LOT of pressure ex: dry ice bombs

The amount of dry ice you'd need to cool it would be too much pressure IMO.

Just get yourself an old SCUBA BCD and strap the corny into the tank holder. Wear that ***** and away you go.

That is an incredibly great idea! For even cheaper you could find one of the plastic tank holder backpacks (no BDC).

The concern about beer sloshing around is not about the frothy beer but about your handling. When you go around corners the beer will slosh around and will be throwing your weight distribution all off in funny ways

Fill it it up to the rim to try to avoid his affect as much as possible. And take things slow initially until you get a goodfeel for the handling.

This is a big concern for tanker trucks and such and is not to be considered lightly.

My former brewing partner transported cornies and, on one occasion, a 20 lb propane tank on his GS1100. Lots of straps, but no problems. Wasn't much wider than the side bins. Definitely decant to a new keg before transporting, unless you have 2-3 days to let it settle.

Yooper said:
That's what I was thinking! Even warm, a picnic tap handy would tempt me and I could see me using it as a camelback! I'd get to my destination and the keg would inexplicibly be half empty. :drunk:

I lol'd

Why not just get a cheap blanket or something and wrap it around the keg, carefully take another blanket and lay it down with the dry ice on top. Then roll the keg in the second blanket with the dry ice smooshed in between the two blankets. Do this right before you leave. Also chilling before hand wouldn't be a bad idea. That should keep it cool for a god amount of the trip imo.

Get a black leather jacket, extra helmet and a blond wig. Put the jacket, wig, and helmet on the keg. Tie the arms of the jacket around your waist. Camouflaged from troopers, you arrive in style.

Friends see you coming..."Bedlam brought a date."
You get off the bike..."Bedlam brought a KEG!!!"

Get a black leather jacket, extra helmet and a blond wig. Put the jacket, wig, and helmet on the keg. Tie the arms of the jacket around your waist. Camouflaged from troopers, you arrive in style.

Friends see you coming..."Bedlam brought a date."
You get off the bike..."Bedlam brought a KEG!!!"

Oh, I have a plan to keep cops from snooping...stay tuned! :ban:

Okay, so yesterday's 390 miles went well...almost all on lovely two-lane roads. The weight and balance took a little getting used to, but after a few miles, I was able to lean pretty well in the corners of the blue ridge parkway. Wheeee!

At elevation and with the plentiful shade of the BRP, it was cool enough to not worry too much about skunking/cooking the beer. The real challenge for that willk be today. We have 250 miles of mostly interstate to cover., so we are getting up early, EARLY, to blast those miles and be at the rally site by 11 ish, where some friends are ready to take my beer and chill it down. It will get a chance to sit for about a day and a half before we crack into it friday evening. Fingers crossed that it will be tasty after this journey! It has been a great learning experience, and I've gotten some really fun reactions to the sign.

We made it to the rally just fine, and my beer was pronounced very tasty. I will post some pics when I get home.

Back