Transporting a keg before CO2...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillbag

Reaction score
So, I've got a Lager which I'd like to get in a keg and ready for a party... Only thing is, the secondary is up in my basement in upstate NY, and my kegging stuff is down here in NJ...

Is it a bad idea to fill the keg, and drive it down to NJ (approx 2.5 hours) without putting it on CO2?

It's not ideal but I'd say if you must then I would pressurize the keg, purge and re-pressurize and leave it like that until you open it to fill with beer. Once filled immediately refit the lid. As CO2 is heavier than 'air' hopefully the beer will remain sufficiently sanitised whilst you take it on it's 2.5 hour journey and re-pressurise it. That's what I would do in an emergency situation like that anyway.

Unless I've missed the point and and the keg is up in NY and you have no means of giving it any CO2 beforehand? In which case I would say it's going to be a risk but if you have no other option, what can you do? :(

Try to keep it from bouncing around much while you drive. Since you can't purge the keg, the headspace will be mostly air, and you definitely don't want to aerate your lager.

Apart from that you'll probably be OK, so long as your plan is to carb and serve fairly quickly.

So, I've got a Lager which I'd like to get in a keg and ready for a party... Only thing is, the secondary is up in my basement in upstate NY, and my kegging stuff is down here in NJ...

Is it a bad idea to fill the keg, and drive it down to NJ (approx 2.5 hours) without putting it on CO2?

If you can't pressurize it before your trip, your O-rings might leak. Put it in the passenger seat and belt it in and you should be fine, though.

If you don't have gas to purge the headspace with, you might slip a few carb tabs in it after you keg it to get it an early start making its own CO2, which, being heavier than air, will tend to lie on the surface of the beer, preventing it from oxidizing if you hit a speed bump too fast and it sloshes around.

Back