Transplanting Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannibalmdq

Reaction score
I just dug up 1-year Cascade plant and moved it to a pot. I know that sounds strange but as a rowhome dweller I'd rather try to grow it tightly up the side of a cage than try to manage it in my already small flower bed.

My question is in regards to anything that may have been left in the bed (very, very small roots). I definitely got the crown all the thick roots and followed them out a small as I could trace. Do I have to worry about it coming back in the spot I dug it out of? I'd rather have them not come back in that flower bed.

They'll be back.

Really?

Reading around, it sounded like 1st year plants don't typically generate additional rhizomes (these plants didn't do very well at all where they were located anyway, the root system was fairly small).

I got all of the crown and all oft he root mass I could trace. Shrug. I guess I'll know when I know.

Will the roots themselves regenerate a crown and rhizomes? I didn't think it worked like that.

If what you planted last year was a rhizome, you'll most likely be fine with what you did as they mostly just increase in size along with establishing roots. The following pictures show what happens to a rhizome after being in the ground for one growing season. The short little white buds/shoots will turn into the vines that produce our hops. If you were to keep one of those shoots covered with soil rather than allowing it to grow up and produce hops, it will turn into a rhizome over the course of the growing season. Everything other than those shoots can pretty much remain in the soil and not regenerate new growth for you to be concerned about. Starting with your third year, this is why it's kind of important to dig around the crowns on a yearly basis and remove any rhizomes to help keep the plants in check. It's always a good idea to keep an eye on the area you removed it from just in case you missed something. Hope this helps.

Chinook.jpg

Chinook 3.jpg

bucket hops 3.jpg

If what you planted last year was a rhizome, you'll most likely be fine with what you did as they mostly just increase in size along with establishing roots. The following pictures show what happens to a rhizome after being in the ground for one growing season. The short little white buds/shoots will turn into the vines that produce our hops. If you were to keep one of those shoots covered with soil rather than allowing it to grow up and produce hops, it will turn into a rhizome over the course of the growing season. Everything other than those shoots can pretty much remain in the soil and not regenerate new growth for you to be concerned about. Starting with your third year, this is why it's kind of important to dig around the crowns on a yearly basis and remove any rhizomes to help keep the plants in check. It's always a good idea to keep an eye on the area you removed it from just in case you missed something. Hope this helps.

This helps a boatload. Nothing even remotely like that was in the ground. Also, the plant didn't do anywhere near as well as those pictures. The root system was considerably smaller. Even though it's now in a large planter, I imagine it will be much happier. It only got between 4 and 6 hours of good sun a day where I planted it. It should get considerably more this season. I've read a fair bit about planter hops and it might be more of a chore, but we'll just have to see how this year plays out.

Back