Transferring from fermentation kegs to serving kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultrashock

Reaction score
Hello, I have a question regarding transferring from fermentation kegs to serving kegs.

Is it possible without cutting the long tube to avoid collecting the sediment? Usually I'm fermenting in 2 corny kegs and then transfer to another 2 corny kegs with auto siphon, but currently it is broken. So, I'm looking for a method without siphon. Of course, I need to use CO2 for the transfer.

The idea is to avoid cutting the dip tubes, because corny kegs are hard to find, and I don't want to damage them.

I have one idea, but first I want your opinion - the idea is:

1. Connect fermentation keg in standard way - CO2 - IN, beer - OUT.

2. Collect the first 0.5L in a jar;

3. Then switch to the serving keg to the OUT line, in order the liquid to go directly in the bottom;

What to do with the IN of the serving keg?

How to avoid sediment, is there sediment after first 0.5L?

Thanks in advance!

The kegmenter I bought came with a floating dip tube. Seems like a smart way to go.

Losing the first 500ml doesn't help if you have hop matter as that is the usual suspect in clogged poppets. I bent my dip tubes so they are above the bottom of keg. Can straighten them back if I ever felt the need to.

Yup. You need to draw from above the sludge or you will get blockages. So you either need a floating dip tube, a bent dip tube, a chopped dip tube, or manual siphon (which means you don't get the benefits of closed transfer).

Also, have a look at the closed siphon method. Fermenting keg goes on the bench, serving keg on the floor. Connect gas to gas and liquid to liquid and siphon the beer that way. No external gas required and no other downsides apart from it being a bit slower.

Ok, thanks for the answers. I will buy autosiphon for the moment and will transfer as usual, without CO2,

Back