transferring commercial chianti

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
A friend of mine asked about racking some commercial gallons into smaller bottles. I told her that it could be done but wanted to know why. She said her mother liked a particular chianti and bought a bunch of gallons but doesn't drink it all that fast and was worried about how long it would take before it would oxidize from pouring glasses out of the gallon. What do you guys think? How long will they keep? Does she even need to worry about oxidation?

sure just pour them into some smaller bottles and cork them up and your good to go....

Pouring them would ruin them! Oxidation is a very big risk.

Even opening a small bottle, and then recorking and drinking the next day will show you the changes in the wine and it won't be good!

I don't know that they'd be easy to rebottle, though. Maybe try purchasing a "vacuvin" first to see if that works rather than trying to rebottle gallons of wine.

Rebotteling would be better then just glugging it out of the galleon by the glass full. Use your auto syphon. Add ascorbic acid if you are worried about ocidation. Recork with fresh corks. Use a vacume cork thingy on the bottle you drink out of. I am not of the mind drink the whole bottle the first day or dump whatever is left. Some wines change more then others. Most will last the week and be perfectly drinkable. Yes, some changes, but not "bad" as in rotten. Just different! Think of it as a different wine every day out of just one bottle:)

Back