Transferred to Secondary - Restarted Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
I just transferred from primary when the bubbling had really slowed down to about one bubble every 30 seconds. I racked to secondary and dropped hopped with 2 oz of east kent goldings. Now my secondary carboy is bubbling still 24 hours later and it looks like a krausen is coming back. Is this a problem? Or will it not effect the dry hop?

I did this with 2 carboys and only 1 is bubbling, the other remains the same.

Yeah, but i mean there is significant bubbling in the secondary. The layer of foam is about 1/4 inch thick and the bubbling is about once every 5 seconds. Why would it still be releasing this CO2 24 hours later? Shouldn't that have finished after an hour or two? It looks like active fermentation, but I havent taken a hydromete reading so im not sure.

If you have not checked it with a hydrometer my guess would be that you roused the yeast a little with the movement and the small amount of o2 that is inevitablely mixed into the wort that might have been stuck? I had this happen with my first use of liquid yeast, I thought fermentation was all over I racked to secondary on to some dry hops and used the trub to get enough beer for a sample found it to be 1020 the extra agitation and aeration made the beer finish off nicely (lucky). Don't stress the reason you don't dry hop the primary is half the hops would end up stuck to the side of the carboy/blown out the blowoff tube or stuck in the airlock as the extra bit of fermentation won't get too excited don't worry about it too much.

Clem

Back