Transfering between kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanH

Reaction score
Can I auto-syphon a carb'ed beer from one keg to another? Is it just that easy?

.....Ideally run a line from liquid to liquid and transfer with Co2.

Short of that......I guess I would sanitize a picnic tap really good and drape that into the new keg through the top.

Autosyphon will probably foam and eff up.

Right! If you try to siphon, you'll probably have foam city and lose a ton of carbonation in addition to oxidizing the beer.

The easy way to transfer to kegs is with two black disconnects (the ones on the "out" on the post) with a length of beerline between them. All you have to do is hook up one black QD to one keg (on the "out" post) and then hook up the other to the old keg. Leaving the regulator at 2-5 psi, the beer will start to flow. Pull the pressure relief valve as needed to burp the receiving keg. That's it! It's so easy!

If there is a reason this won't work, like the diptube is clogged or something, I'd unclog the diptube and try again because it's the best way to transfer.

Awesome! I will do that. Thanks a lot. I was trying to avoid taking apart my lines and rearranging stuff but I guess I'm just lazy. Thanks again!

I'm selling the pin lock and trying to have a ball-lock-only system. The guy wants the keg but I just filled it.

My apologies for the blurriness (and the external link BS from this site), but hopefully it shows what I do.
If you don't have a spunding valve, you can regulate the receiving vessel pressure by pulling the pressure release or similar.
You just want it about 3 psi lower than the sending vessel pressure to get good, smooth flow.

Also can be done w/ two picnic taps by connecting them w/ a short length of tubing...I use a 3" piece of gas tubing forced onto the two picnic taps to connect them together, then use high pressure in the full keg and vent the empty keg w/ both taps open.

Back