Transfering 10 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I'm looking to move to 10 gal batches. I have the equipment. 15 gal brew kettle 1/2 50 ft wort chiller. I'm just wondering how to transfer ten gallons of wort to the fermenter. Siphoning seems like the only option but seems kind of slow. I should bought a kettle w a spigot but thinking of making one w my SS kettle. How does everyone transfer this much wort.

Install a ball valve into your boil kettle (it's not really a kettle until you have installed a ball valve in it, it's just a pot until then). Once you have the kettle setup, just drain into your fermenter(s) and you're good to go. Transfer time will be significantly faster than with a siphon. I think I used a siphon to transfer one of my partial boil batches (which would be one of my first three beers brewed). After that, I installed a ball valve and make the pot into a kettle.

With stainless steel you'll need either a good step bit, lube, way to keep what you're drilling (and the bit) cool, and a decent (low speed) drill. There are more than a few threads already posted about drilling through stainless steel to install a ball valve. Go read through them to find out how to best do it.

Thanks that's what I was thinking I had to do. I was wondering what the difference between a kettle and a pot was. Good to know.

Back