Transfer to secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERASMO

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do a Brewers Best Belgian Tripel and was wondering about when to transfer to secondary. The instructions say transfer when the fermentation slows but before it completes. I have read some people say to wait to transfer longer.

What is the concensus?

Thanks!

I am getting ready to do a Brewers Best Belgian Tripel and was wondering about when to transfer to secondary. The instructions say transfer when the fermentation slows but before it completes. I have read some people say to wait to transfer longer.

What is the concensus?

Thanks!

In my opinion, you should wait until the fermentation as stopped. I rack to secondary only for clearing purposes when needed. Otherwise, I leave it for about 3 weeks in the primary before bottling.

Hope this'll help !

What is the concensus?

There is no consensus. Some (including me) will just leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks. Some will rack it over once fermentation slows to get it off of the trub and dead yeast, but keeping the live yeast to finish and clean up. Some will wait for fermentation to finish completely before racking just to let it clear.

Back