transfer from one keg to another

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caspider

Reaction score
I noticed that one of my wheat beers that I have recently kegged has alot of sediment at the bottom so I'm thinking that I should transfer it to a different keg. The beer is already carbonated so I'm afraid that if I rack it to the other keg I'm going to have to deal with a lot of foaming... Is there an easy way to do this while avoiding a huge amount of foam? :mug:

The sediment should come out on the first pour or two. This is normal for kegs.

It would be hard to transfer already carb'd beer from one keg to another. You'd probably have to hook the out from the full on to the out on the other one, then let it run while slowly bleeding off pressure a little at a time on the empty one until done. If you got the pressure bleedoff timed correctly, you shouldn't see much foaming. Essentially you'd have a counter pressure setup. You'd have little control over how fast the beer transferred though accept to vary the CO2 pressure into the full keg from the regulator.

Yep, get about 10 feet of beer line and put black ball connectors on each end.

Have your empty keg, chilled, clean,sanitized, purged. Vent both kegs, then charge them to about 5 psi.

Connect both beer lines and your CO2 to your full keg. The beer should not flow as the pressure is equalized. Then gently crack the relief valve on the empty keg. The beer will flow gently over to the empty keg with minimum foam.

Works like a champ for me. The condensation on the outside helps to show how full it is.

I use this method all the time to transfer brew to one of my 2.5 or 3 gallon kegs to take to parties.

I would do as Slipgate reccomends. Pour off a few thick glasses and let it ride. in the future: Cold crash all the beers - makes a huge difference.

another option would be to degass the beer over a few days by bleeding off pressure every time you walk by the keg - until it no longer is pressurized, transfer and then recarb.

Is it ever ok to also just pop off the top and look in just to see how much beer/head is in there?

Is it ever ok to also just pop off the top and look in just to see how much beer/head is in there?

Yes, of course you can do that.

I do what Edwort explained- black QD to black QD, and transfer under co2 to move to other kegs all the time. It works great. I have some 3 gallon kegs I fill that way all the time, and other times just transfer to a second keg to get it off of the sediment before moving it out to a party or to my cottage.

Thanks guys... just got done with the transfer and it worked great!! there was a ton of sediment at the bottom so i'm glad i did this!

Thanks guys... just got done with the transfer and it worked great!! there was a ton of sediment at the bottom so i'm glad i did this!

So, how much sediment got transferred to the other keg?

This whole exercise strikes me as only being necessary if you planned on moving the keg around and stirring it up in the process.

If you're assuming you didn't transfer much sediment, then that same amount could have just been drawn off with the first couple/few pints. Now, it's over in the new keg...

Cheers!

I use a party tap to pour the sediment out and then use a 5' jumper at 10 psi to jump from one keg to the other. Super easy and the beer is never exposed to O2.

Back