Transfer from keg back to carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satownsend

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I recently kegged a rye saison I fermented with ECY08. It's not completely carbonated yet, but the samples I've tried of it haven't been very enjoyable. I'm not good at putting flavors into words...it kind of reminds me of some of the brews that I fermented too hot before I realized the importance of temperature control. I fermented this beer in the mid to low 80s which is supposed to fine with this strain. I also couldn't get the bucket I fermented in to seal completely. There wasn't really any airlock activity. I didn't think that would be an issue with the amount of CO2 the yeast should be producing. It did ferment down to 1.003. I'm going to give it a little longer, but I'm considering racking it back from the keg to a carboy, pitching some Brett, forgetting about it for a while and seeing what happens. Should I expect any issues doing this? Anyone done anything similar? I understand the Brett isn't going to transform a bad beer with major flaws into a great beer, but what is there to lose?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The only thing I would be worried about is that the current amount of Co2 might be detrimental to the Brett you are introducing... I would say give it a try, but I wouldnt even worry about trying to rack it back to a carboy... Just add the brett to the Keg and take it out of the fridge and see what happens.

I only have two kegs so maybe I'll transfer to a carboy and let it go flat before pitching the brett. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back