tranfering to secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roth_nj

Reaction score
ive had my first brew in the fermenter bucket for 10 days now. im going to transfer it to a carboy for a secondary.

what is the best method/technique for this?

everything ive read just says simple stuff like rack it to the secondary. do i just syphon it and let the end of the hose sit on the bottom of the carboy?

Do you have an auto siphon?

If so, sanitize it, then stick the hose in the bottom of the secondary, then give the autosiphon a couple of pumps to get it going and you're all set.

im not sure exactly what i have...

i bought a kit and there is a siphon in there. havent really looked at it yet.

i heard people saying make sure not to aerate the beer. i just wanted to make sure its as simple say just siphoning it.

Yep, it's that simple. The auto siphon works great, and is super easy to use. I just got mine a month or so ago, and it is one of the best gadgets I've purchased. Before that I would just use the mouth suction siphon method which is a PITA and you run the risk of contaminating your batch as well. On the up side...you don't need to a glass in order to take a sample :).

im not sure exactly what i have...

i bought a kit and there is a siphon in there. havent really looked at it yet.

i heard people saying make sure not to aerate the beer. i just wanted to make sure its as simple say just siphoning it.

As long as you have the end of the hose in the bottom, you'll be fine....and don't panic if something happens, it takes a lot of aeration to actually harm your beer, and a few siphoning accidents, will not do it...It really takes a lot to ruin your beer.

One hint...practice with water before hand. You obviously have a secondary, do you have a bottling bucket? If so fill the bucket with water and practice racking to your secondary...

You'll do fine. :mug:

As long as you have the end of the hose in the bottom, you'll be fine....and don't panic if something happens, it takes a lot of aeration to actually harm your beer, and a few siphoning accidents, will not do it...It really takes a lot to ruin your beer.

One hint...practice with water before hand. You obviously have a secondary, do you have a bottling bucket? If so fill the bucket with water and practice racking to your secondary...

You'll do fine. :mug:

yes i do and thats actually a good idea

thanks

best way to sanitize the carboy.. fill with water/sanitizer mix and let sit and then rinse out with water?

I like to fill up my bottling bucket first, about half way and put my tubing and other racking stuff in. Then after a few minutes, I drain that water/sanitizer into my secondary carboy. Slosh it around a bit to get all sides wet and let sit for a few minutes, then drain. I try to get as much sanitizing solution out, just to make sure there are no off flavors due to too much residue.

:mug:

best way to sanitize the carboy.. fill with water/sanitizer mix and let sit and then rinse out with water?

Depends on the sanitizer you're using. If you're using starsan or another "no rinse" sanitizer, then you fill the carboy up some with sanitizer solution (1 oz to 5 gal for starsan), slosh it all around to get every surface coated, then make sure the surface stays wet for 30 seconds (I let it go for a minute just in case), let it drain, and then it's sanitized.

If you use bleach, you'll need to rinse.

Back