Train a Dog to Howl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Our dogs are pretty quiet. We've only heard one of them howl, and only twice. He jumped on the sofa and howled.

Ever since, I have been trying to get him to do it again. I howl at him, play. You tubes of dogs howling and offer treats as bribes. He just will not do it.

Any advice? I'm not going to stick anything up his butt.

No sure if serious.....

Our dog only howls if he hears other howling. Our three year old lives to provoke him.

well, now that the stick option is gone. have you tried giving his dangles a squeeze. that always make me howl.

I have one of my labs trained to bark but no howls the other one looks at me like I'm an idiot which is probably true haha good luck with this one

And also not squeezing his nuts nor any playing of red rocket.

No Sky Rockets in Flight, either. I hate that damn song, no matter what it's about.

When my Coon hound is excited she'll howl. Or spooked.. Or see something. She's a coon hound though. so it's cheating.

No. It's not a pit bull. If I had a pit bull, the name of this thread would be 'My Pit Bull Bit My Neck In Half Because I Was Holding Treats Over It's Head While Making Howly Noises'.

Both my dogs howl to me playing harmonica (poorly, I'm no John Popper). Just the sound of the harmonica sets them a howlin'. It's awesome! We have lots of videos of them. Try it!

No. It's not a pit bull. If I had a pit bull, the name of this thread would be 'My Pit Bull Bit My Neck In Half Because I Was Holding Treats Over It's Head While Making Howly Noises'.

Oh, come on. Don't be like that. It's not the breed it's the owner.

Previously the "evil" breed has been Doberman, Rottweiler and German Shepherd. Don't be "that guy".

Previously the "evil" breed has been Doberman, Rottweiler and German Shepherd. Don't be "that guy".

Your right it is the owner not the breed, the problem is the type of owner the breed draws.

I use to own a rottweiler and it was the biggest baby you ever saw. I used to argue with people all the time with people that there little 8 pound chihuahua bit more than my 75 pound rottweiler ever did, the only reason you ever heard about my breed of dog was because it was stronger and capable of doing more damage in one bite than theirs could in 100
Back on subject, do you know somebody whos dog howls that you could get together with and have your dog learn by watching theirs?

Both my dogs howl to me playing harmonica (poorly, I'm no John Popper). Just the sound of the harmonica sets them a howlin'. It's awesome! We have lots of videos of them. Try it!

I second this. My Lab is always silent, never even barks, but will howl (or as we call it 'sing') to a harmonica.

Oh but thats eggzactly my point. If it was my pitbull. I play fight with these little dogs. Did it with collies too. Played keep away with a Doberman. He won. Got me in trouble for "teasing the dog" too.

Oh but thats eggzactly my point. If it was my pitbull. I play fight with these little dogs. Did it with collies too. Played keep away with a Doberman. He won. Got me in trouble for "teasing the dog" too.
Your point doesn't hold any water. I play/fight/wrestle with my pitt bull and she's the sweetest dog ever. If you have your dog trained to know when playtime is, how rough you are when playing makes no difference.

And btw, my dog "talks" its the weirdest/funniest thing. She did it a few times and when we noticed the pattern we exploited it to get her to do it more often and now it's much easier to get her to do it. Next time you catch him howling see if you can figure out why and then exploit it...

Back