Trading/ sending beer: Tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Trucks

Reaction score
I've heard of friends sending beer cross country to one another and I have a buddy that just moved to New York. This seems like a great opportunity to sample some east coast stuff. Does anybody have any tips on how to do this? I.E., what to send the beer in to protect it, how much it generally costs, etc? I've seen websites that you can sign up for, but it wasn't useful to me.

FYI, I'm aware that mailing beer is illegal in most states, so no lectures/ replies of that nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wrap each bottle in bubble wrap, then wrap the bundle of bottles in more bubble wrap. Then inside one blue plastic bag (from the grocery store) one way. Then inside another one the opposite way. Then in a bubble wrap-lined box with enough bubble wrap to make a tight, fully stuffed package. It also helps hide sloshing sounds. Declaring what it is can be the fun part. I've declared it as "liquid yeast samples" or "glassware if no sounds could be heard from inside the box. Cost depends on how many bottles, how it's packed & whether you ship it normal ground, two day, etc. I forget how much it costs offhand. That goes by weight, size how fast it travels & where.:mug:

Lots and lots of bubble wrap. And there should be enough stuff on the inside so nothing can move around inside the box so fill any empty spaces with newspaper. Some people put electrical tape across the cap or cork, i'm assuming because there may be a risk of things exploding with how shooken up they get.

I used to trade and ship around 5-6 medium to largish format bottles at a time. Through fed ex, i have a home account and just estimate the weight and print out a label, then just drop off. No one ever asked me what wad in it. It was usually between 15 and $20

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back