Trademark cream ale flavor - is it the corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When you drink a cream ale, to me, they all have a very distinct cream ale flavor. Almost like a sweetness to it. Is that coming from the use of flaked corn? How much corn?

The reason I'm asking is because I did a mexican lager with corn (20% corn) and I did not get any of that sweet flavor typically found in a cream ale. I've been comparing some recipes here on HBT and I'm seeing 24% as the most corn so far.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Never mind. I think I know the answer after reading through a lot of information on cream ales. My understanding is that it is in fact the corn, while some examples may present with DMS, enhancing that aroma/flavor.

It is usually the adjuncts in the brew. I for one like to make my cream ale with WLP005, that's right, English Ale yeast. Makes for a really fun cream ale and when it's mashed low and carbed a bit high, its almost crispy like a lager but tons more flavor!

I for one like to make my cream ale with WLP005, that's right, English Ale yeast. Makes for a really fun cream ale and when it's mashed low and carbed a bit high, its almost crispy like a lager but tons more flavor!

Mmmm. Do you think that would be good with WLP007, since that's what I tend to have on hand?

Ironically, although cream ale isn't my favorite style, my cream ale is one of my all-around best beers and a crowd-pleaser for sure. I believe the trademark cream ale flavor is from some combination of adjuncts, low mash temp, and high attenuation. I've never done a Mexican lager but I imagine it's a low mash temp and fairly dry beer as well, though, so that's a good question about why it doesn't taste like a cream ale (probably something about lager yeast?) My cream ale uses 20% flaked corn and no other adjuncts though I think many use rice - I haven't found the need. I use half 2 row and half 6 row to try and dry it out even more. I've brewed it with US-05, WLP001, and WLP080 (cream ale blend) and all have been great.

Mmmm. Do you think that would be good with WLP007, since that's what I tend to have on hand?

Ironically, although cream ale isn't my favorite style, my cream ale is one of my all-around best beers and a crowd-pleaser for sure. I believe the trademark cream ale flavor is from some combination of adjuncts, low mash temp, and high attenuation. I've never done a Mexican lager but I imagine it's a low mash temp and fairly dry beer as well, though, so that's a good question about why it doesn't taste like a cream ale (probably something about lager yeast?) My cream ale uses 20% flaked corn and no other adjuncts though I think many use rice - I haven't found the need. I use half 2 row and half 6 row to try and dry it out even more. I've brewed it with US-05, WLP001, and WLP080 (cream ale blend) and all have been great.
That’s kind of what I was thinking as well - that maybe the corn didn’t stand out in the Mexican lager because of the lager yeast and the long cold conditioning... maybe.

Back