Toured a distillery today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsruther

Reaction score
The wife and I took a trip today and toured the Woodford Reserve Distillery. There are a bunch of Distilleries in a small area that they call the Bourbon trail but, Woodford is the one we drink the most. It was pretty amazing but, I'm fascinated by things that some would consider boring. They took us through the process from beginning to end. I got to stand right next to a huge vat of fermenting mash. It was bubbling away right in front of me. You could put your hand over it and feel the heat coming off of it. The sights, smells and history of this place were something to behold. If any of you folks have a chance to visit one of thses places, don't pass it up.

Took that tour last fall... actually down in Lexington now and want to go back. Nice place, great people. Also took the tour of the Altech brewery here in Lexington, VERY small place, very nice people, nice little tour.

I took the tour in June 2006. Beautiful and fascinating. Would have been more fascinating if I liked WR as much as I like Maker's.

IMG_2318.jpg

I'm trying to get SWMBO to take the Bourbon Trail vacation this summer, but between the two of us, we have 4 teens. I REALLY want to enjoy myself on that trip, and will have to throw all 4 into a vat if I hear "This sucks. We're bored."

Actually, I'd probably throw myself in, instead, and drown a happy man !

4 teens... damn. My daughter was 5 and she is so involved in brewing at my house that she was very excited to see this stuff and compare it to what we do on a small scale.

Find a way Kjung... it is a good time, I learned a lot.

If you can find a way, definitely do a tour like this. I'd like to check out 4 Roses distillery next (another favorite) and tour a small brewery sometime soon too.

2d7hev6.jpg

29go8z5.jpg

20ue3bs.jpg

245k079.jpg

4 teens... damn. My daughter was 5 and she is so involved in brewing at my house that she was very excited to see this stuff and compare it to what we do on a small scale.

Find a way Kjung... it is a good time, I learned a lot.

When I was brewing extract, I was doing it in the house, and the kids whined about the smell. My two both owe me money, so I have them work it off by doing things like rinse and wash my empty bottles and buckets, and they do nothing but whine the whole time ... which just makes me have them do even more. :D
I told SWMBO we may just have to plan the trip on a weekend when I don't have mine, and we can ship hers off somewhere.

Sounds like a good idea... we had a blast. It is a beautiful place and seeing those wooden fermentors bubbling away, the smell... I could live in the aging barns!
The history on the trail is amazing, my knowlege of all things brewing is limited to my garage and HBing, seeing these places is humbling. I wish I could get my hands on a couple of thier used barrels!

Back