Toucan stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnor

Reaction score
My lhbs has stout on sale so was thinking i would do 2 cans with some dry malt. Any suggestions or advice would be great.

More details needed. Is this stout one of those Cooper's/Munton's single can, hopped extract kits?

If it is, you could do two cans and not add any DME (aka dry malt) or sugar for a 5g batch. The idea would be the second can replaces the sugar or DME.

The beer would be hoppier this way. If you wanted to boost ABV even higher, then you could add DME on top of the two cans.

Don't boil hopped extract. Bring water to the boil, then add extract and shut off the heat.

Yes its a coopers stout extract can. Should i add anything else?

Yes its a coopers stout extract can. Should i add anything else?

You could swap the yeast for something like Safale-04 or even a fresh Cooper's pack. Sometimes kit yeast is old, and using two cans of extract is more challenging for it than sugar.

Beyond that: coffee, chocolate, vanilla and fruit are possibilities. Fresh specialty grains would be easy: Coffee malt, if you can find it locally. Maybe 1/2 a pound. Or Chocolate malt (I think a smaller amount, maybe 4 ounces). Steep it in water as a first step before anything else is added.

Personally, I wouldn't do any of these, except maybe fresh yeast.

Beyond that: coffee, chocolate, vanilla and fruit are possibilities. Fresh specialty grains would be easy: Coffee malt, if you can find it locally. Maybe 1/2 a pound. Or Chocolate malt (I think a smaller amount, maybe 4 ounces). Steep it in water as a first step before anything else is added.

Personally, I wouldn't do any of these, except maybe fresh yeast.

I'd be careful with Chocolate malt unless you like "burnt" beer ;)

Back