Quantcast

total volume before fermentation

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

gallagherman

Reaction score
For a "5 gal" batch, do you guys generally shoot for slightly more than 5 gal (5.25) before fermentation? I have been adding water to get about 5.25 because I have heard that with water loss over the few weeks its in the bucket you will end up with something closer to 5 gal. But will this affect the ABV severely? AKA make it less potent? :(

Warrior

Reaction score
gallagherman said:
For a "5 gal" batch, do you guys generally shoot for slightly more than 5 gal (5.25) before fermentation? I have been adding water to get about 5.25 because I have heard that with water loss over the few weeks its in the bucket you will end up with something closer to 5 gal. But will this affect the ABV severely? AKA make it less potent? :(
I figure on making 5.5 gal batches when brewing. I use a 6 1/2 gallon glass carboy for my primary ferments which does not require a blow off tube for most beers. I calculate my recipes to use an extra 10% more in ingredients because of the 5.5 gal batch size, that usually yields me 5 gal in the secondary.

scottthorn

Reaction score
I try to have at least 6 gallons in primary (love my 8 gallon bucket!), figuring I'll lose a certain amount when I transfer to secondary and even more due to absorption when I add whole hops for dry-hopping.

You won't lose any 'water' from sitting in the bucket unless you have a crazy blow-off. It's the amount of liquid you leave behind along with the yeast cake when you transfer to another container that you need to be concerned with.

I just add a bit more grain/hops than the recipe calls for to account for the extra volume.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
Going to 5.25 gallons will not affect your ABV a whole lot, although it will have an effect (by lowing your OG). Personally I have found it not necessary to hit exactly 5 gallons, sometimes I come in over, sometimes under. Generally speaking it's not a big deal.

malkore

Reaction score
Yes, i aim for 5.25 to 5.5 gallons, but I'm doing all grain so its very easy for me to adjust the recipe so my ABV doesn't drop, even if its only a couple of tenths of a percent.

wildwest450

Banned
Reaction score
What about extract brews? How much if any can you safely overshoot 5 gallons??

iamjonsharp

Reaction score
wildwest450 said:
What about extract brews? How much if any can you safely overshoot 5 gallons??
Regardless of extract or all grain, simply design a recipe for 5.25 or 5.5 gallons. For extract, you simply may need to add a bit more extract.

The key to making a good brew is hitting your target OG, not hitting a specified volume. It 's better to have a few less beers and the gravity you aimed for rather than a few more beers and a lower gravity than anticipated.

-Jon