Total Pre Boil Volume Question - Leftover wort in Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanclare

Reaction score
Hey guys...I'm doing an AG batch and using a recipe from Austin HB that called for a 5 gallon sparge. The first runnings into the kettle totaled 2.25 gallons. I followed the sparge instructions and only pulled 4 gallons of wort to total 6.25 gallons into the kettle. The question I have is there was still 1 gallon of 1.020 SG wort left in the mash tun...is there a reason why I shouldn't just add this to my boil? And then just boil down to 5.25 gallons? The recipe seemed very adamant about not going above 6.25 gallons.

It would dilute your wort and add solid 45 min to your boil time..throwing their hop schedule off and wasting your time. For a five gallon batch it's not a huge deal. But start mutiplying your volumes to 10 or 15 gallon batches then compound that with over sparging.. you see where this going. I did ten gallons once and sparged until my gravity was 1.008, it took about 9 hours to boil all that extra off plus I had to fish out the hops with a strainer = nightmare.

Back