Tossed together a "clean the store room" 3 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvisinho

Reaction score
Aaand its semi dissapointing.
I scrounged together some 2 row, wheat malt and flaked oats since i have been sitting on this stuff for a while.
I only used cascade late in boil and whirlpool then Saf-33 for the hell of it.

I dont like the way it tastes really. Strong malt and back end bitterness from the cascade. Im teetering whether i should try to dry hop this ***** or find an alternate way to add flavor. Primary is done.

Legit suggestions?

I love throw it together beers sometimes.

Kegged? Did you give it a week or two to condition?

You are in uncharted territory with kitchen sink brews sometimes. Best thing to do is to see it through and try to learn from it.

Dry-hop will bring more aroma than anything, won't hurt, I think you just need to let it condition a little, keg/bottle, and then after a couple weeks you'll know 100% if you got an amazing brew or something to be forgotten.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I have 2 row, munich and vienna with an oz each of chinook and cascade. Planning on using some washed yeast that's unlabeled.

If I were you i'd ride it out. If you're kegging you can always dry hop/add other stuff in the keg after it's carbonated and conditioned. If you're bottling you're going to have to commit to something.

2 row, wheat and flaked oats sort of sounds like a lawnmower type beer to me; or even a wit. Those are good to add some fruit zest to or even some straight up fruit in the secondary. sa33 sounds like it'll play nice with pretty much any style so I'd think you could add just about any adjunct to the beer and it would be fine. You could make it into a hybrid wit.. just add orange peel and coriander. Maybe break it into two 1.5 gallon batches and play around with it... or even three 1 gallon batches.

Valid points.
Perhaps i will split and try different stuff.
I dont have room in kegs so i was just going to toss this in flip tops once it gets to a decent point flavor wise.

Maybe ill flip through the good old experimental home brewing book for some ideas when i get home.

But i do like the fruit/zest suggestion for at least a gallon.

Back