TOSNA with Fruit Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatsCradle

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I recently made a one gallon batch of cherry melomel. My receipe included 3.5 pounds of honey, 5.5 pounds of cherries and one gram of 71b. I rehydrated with Go Ferm and used TOSNA 3.0 guidelines to add Fermaid O. My original Gravity was 1.128 and I expected the yeast to stop around 1.020-1.025 to get a semi sweet to sweet mead. This did not happen and I fermented completely dry to 1.000 with my 71B reaching a17% alcohol rather than the 14% purported limit. My question is should I have reduced the SNA amount to account for the fruit providing nutrients and if so by how much?

No. Extra nutrients weren't responsible for exceeding the yeast's alcohol tolerance. Sounds like you had a healthy batch of 71B, it's usually fairly predictable.

I use about 4 lbs of honey/gallon when I want a semi-sweet mead. Note that fruit is mostly water,
and that water will reduce your ABV and the mouthfeel of the mead.

Back