Tornado Warning... In Los Angeles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had Earthquakes in Oklahoma last week. 4.0 on the Richter. Again nothing major but real.

Kinda freaky when you aren't used to it tho'.

It was raining and windy like holy snot down here. Even an occasional flash of lightening with the subsequent thunder.

Here i Yorba Linda right now it's raining with the occasional lightning and thunder. Water spouts are not unheard of here, but they rarely do more than rip a few shingles off.

About 10 years ago, I was standing in the lobby of Applied Materials in Silicon Valley and one of the other employee's said, "If I was back home in Nebraska, I'd be headed for the storm cellar." I looked out the window and saw the greenish-yellow sky, which means Tornado!. 20 minutes later a funnel came down about three blocks from a friend's house.

I miss thunderstorms, don't get them much up here.

Everyone else outside of Southern California thinks we're a bunch of wussies right now.

This is the crazyest that the weather ever gets around here, so let us wuss out for a little, okay! :p

Tornado Warning definitely moved down to us, I actually moved my car because the wind looked like it was going to blown down the tree next to it. It was the only of 3 left standing when the wind moved on. Wasn't as bad as the weather when I lived in FL and we got tornado warnings...

Hey Gila - The New Madrid earthquakes in 1811-1812 were located about where Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas meet were strong enough to make church bells ring in New York and Boston and Toronto, and there were reports of chimneys being toppled over in Maine. It was strong enough to change the course of the Mississippi River, and cause some sections to flow backwards for a time. Not too far from where you are. The only thing that kept it from being a major disaster was the fact that the area was pretty sparsely populated at the time. Apparently there have been 4000+ recorded earthquakes in the area since 1978...

lol, we get 10-15 tornado warnings a year....with a good half of those touching down. When I say "we", I mean the county I live in.
Glad everyone seems to be ok.

lol, we get 10-15 tornado warnings a year....with a good half of those touching down. When I say "we", I mean the county I live in.
Glad everyone seems to be ok.

Yeah, but counties in Texas are as big as some states, lol. ;)
I just keep getting moved back to tornado alley. Thought I was safe in North Dakota, but we had 2 in the county i lived in there.

Terje

we had hail, rain, thunder and lightning for the last three days. It has rained about six inches so far up here. I took a picture of the hail last night. Click for closer picture

Back