Topping Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browning348

Reaction score
I currently don’t have a set up to do a large kettle brew. I have two smaller stock pots, 3 gallons, that I brew in. My question is can I make a partial mash concentrate and top off to 5 gallons? I’m thinking a 2.75 gallon partial mash, then top off my wort with 2.5-3 gallons of boiled and cooled water. In my head it makes sense, but want to pick brains before I try.

I brewed a hefeweizen 10 days ago, boiling the partial mash wort with my hop additions then boiled the top off water and added malt extract at flame out (turning my stove off) and then mixed them together. I made my OG and I'm kegging it tomorrow, but so far have had no problems. I'm tapping it on Saturday and let's see what happens.

That will work. Be sure to do the math - there are tools on the intertoobs that will calculate the dilution effect.
You'll lose a bit of efficiency so maybe toss in a bit more grain, and make sure to thoroughly mix the top-up water before taking a hydro reading lest you freak yourself out ;)

Cheers!

You could likely do a 5 gallon partial mash with one 3 gallon kettle.

You could also likely do 5 gallons all grain with your two 3 gallon kettles BIAB method.

That will work. Be sure to do the math - there are tools on the intertoobs that will calculate the dilution effect.
You'll lose a bit of efficiency so maybe toss in a bit more grain, and make sure to thoroughly mix the top-up water before taking a hydro reading lest you freak yourself out ;)

Cheers!

I’ve been using Brewer’s friend recipe calculator to get the basic numbers and it’s made good beer. There’s a place for boil size and batch size and after putting a 2.5 gallon boil size then 5 gallon batch size it still spits out the info. I’ll give it a test run this weekend

You could likely do a 5 gallon partial mash with one 3 gallon kettle.

You could also likely do 5 gallons all grain with your two 3 gallon kettles BIAB method.

The BIAB method is what I’m working towards. I’ve just got to order the reusable bag.

You can do an all grain batch and top off with water (losing some efficiency due to the big OG of the original wort), you could to an actual partial mash and top off with both water and extract, or you could do a split boil in the 2 pots like wilser mentioned. Lots of options.

Back