topping off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hordebrew

Reaction score
Im still kind of new to making mead and realized that when going from primary to secondary I loose quite a bit. Is topping off in the secondary OK? What is the proper way? I really want to get the most out of my mead. Ty for any input.

Personally I dont like Topping off. Especially with tap water. What I do is let it sit for about a month and get every last drop you can even if you suck up alittle yeast its ok. You'll still leave the vast bulk of it behind When you move to your secondary, if/when fermentation is done use super kleer wait a week and then cold crash for a week. You will always lose alittle bit of wine. Why water down your mead. Besides if it ends up being too dry(for your taste) you'll want to back sweeten with honey witch will increase your volume. The longer you let your mead sit the more compact the lees will be and you will lose less mead. Also Ive never nad a problem with the Oxidization boogie man

I make 6 gallon batches for this reason. If I don't get complete clearance in primary, and I have to rack, I go from the 6 gallon into a 5 gallon carboy. The extra volume will fill between 3-4 extra 750 ml bottles...these all get set to airlock, and the extra bottles can be used for top off volume during subsequent rackings.

roadymi said:
I'm sure most every topic pertaining to wine / cider / mead / beer making has been covered here numerous times. New people come on board all of the time, asking is so much easier that sorting thru pages and pages of search material.

There were a lot of good ideas on this thread, so I though I would share it. That's why I linked it. I thought it would help, I didn't mean it as a criticism.

But if you're not going to put some effort behind it in research besides asking and letting everyone else give you the answer........why bother.......you're really not that into it........IMO.

I'm interested in everyone's viewpoint...I love sorting through these threads. I learned here early on...there's a search feature on the top of the page....USE IT! (But they (on the forum) are a friendly bunch)

As a wise man once told me "Follow the good decisions people make.......Avoid the mistakes other people make."

Latest posts

Back