topping off???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
Wondering what everyone does if they ever find themselves a little short on volume? I think I shorted myself about 1/2 gallon to begin with, and it showed in the end.

I made a partial mash Pigs' Ass Porter Clone, and came up just a little short. I forgot to take a sample till the end, so it ended up being from the dregs. I came it at 1.064, seems quite high for a Porter.

I didn't read the OG till I already pitched the yeast. Should I have topped this off with water???

Good news is other than this little issue, I had a great brew session, short and sweet. Seems like every session, I refine the system a little.

It's fine to top off before pitching. Just try to get your target OG. Because your OG is higher during the boil, your hops utilization will be lower.

There is nothing wrong with it. Personally I go with whatever I get. little high, little low, too much volume, not quite enough. Oh well, it is what the brew session gave me, and I'm ok with it.

I will make adjustments throughout the boil though. I will adjust how long I boil based on a refracometer reading taken about 10 minutes to the 'expected' end of the boil. I've had times where i boiled a little longer to hit the target og.

Back