Topping off with different yeast must

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ruger12pk

Reaction score
I have two batches of mead going at present...one is 1 1/2 month old traditional with Lalvin D-47. The other is a newly made JAOM made with K-V1116 yeast. Now my question is that after I made the new JAOM today I had about 2 quarts of must left over (because of the volume of the oranges) which I just put into one of the left over honey jars, added an airlock and called it good. After looking at my traditional sitting there I observed that I have enough head space to easily top it off using the remainder of the JAOM must. Would there be a problem in topping off and incorporating the K-v11116 Must into the older D-47 must?

Thanks!:mug:

summersolstice

Reaction score
No problem. They're both competitive yeasts, though they both add different sensory effects. They may add their own characteristics or one may crowd out the other. Only time will tell, but there shouldn't be any adverse problems.

OP
ruger12pk

ruger12pk

Reaction score
No problem. They're both competitive yeasts, though they both add different sensory effects. They may add their own characteristics or one may crowd out the other. Only time will tell, but there shouldn't be any adverse problems.
Thx Summer! I went ahead and added that and we will wait and see how it goes! I figure the addition of that wee bit o honey must will keep the fermentation going but thats ok with me! Just makes it better!

regards.....:mug:

Latest posts